Siting a lightening detector

As we have had some pretty good thunderstorms lately, I like the idea of a lightening detector. But where do I site it? Looking at a 1 wire system from Hobby Board.
House built of reinforced concrete and concrete blocks, so plenty of rebar in the building, although it doesn’t seem to affect the wireless signal from the ISS. For me the chimney would be the easiest, but a couple of satellite dishes close by, one on the chimney!! but then I would still need to earth it.
How far from the house would I need to site it? Some limitations with a long length of cat5 cable.
This hobby is too addictive!!

Do you have a garden…? at the bottom of the garden, away from any electrical sources is the best place (unless your garden backs on to another house!)

Mine is on an 8ft (2.4m) pole fixed to the top of a fence post, so about 12-13 ft (3.6m ish) total high.
Thats about 20m away from my, or any other houses. CAT5 will cope with that distance fine, and I get almost no false strikes.

Good luck

Daryll.

Plenty of garden. Weather station is at the furthest corner, as we are on a hillside it is the most open area. About 35m from the house. So would need to be sited some way from this, how far would be a safe distance? ruined house next door so no problems there. Another pole will need to be attached to a chain link fence then!!!

There should be no problem putting the lightning detector near your weather station.

The main thing is that the detector is away from your house. It will be your house electrical systems, thermostats, electric motors, light switches, anything that could create a spark, that would cause false strikes on your detector.

Daryll.