WS 2350 Set Up

Good Morning all

This is my first post here, apologies if this is duplicating a previous topic :oops:

I got a WS2350 for Xmas I want to make sure I get the whole thing set up right, a few people on TWO said to come on here and I would be sure of getting the answers.

Firstly I am going wireless

I have set up the 3 sensors on a shelf, this is attached to a 6ft high fence. The 3 sensors are all side by side , equally spaced. Is this ok or do they need to be spread a distance from each other in order to get accurate readings?? This was done yesterday, I am yet to put the batteries in until I have loaded the software…does this matter ?

Now for the Software installation

The driver disc for the USB adapter does that have to be installed first , before the WS software or doesn’t it matter?

The USB adapter for the connection from the PC to the WS looks odd, is there a complete cable that can be used rather than the two that have been supplied??

And lastly My PC gets switched off at night, is that a problem with regards collecting the data from the PC when switched on in the morning??

Sorry to ramble on, I just want to get this right and installed by noon January 1st .

Thanks in advance

Marcus

HELP!!!

Any answers guys , my clock is ticking :?

Impatience won’t help you get an answer.

Firstly, this is a global forum so a fair number of members are asleep at any time of the day and secondly this is New Year’s Eve so there’s a fair chance that a lot of people aren’t on the Internet tonight because they’re doing things with friends and family, or perhaps in the case of the people far to the east, recovering from last night’s party.

Apologies :oops:

I shall hopefully get a reply during the next 2 or 3 days.

Regards

Welcome to the Hobby, i would start saving now as its a expensive one :). I hope you have many years of enjoyment out of your station. right now to the setting up.

Wireless:
Only go wireless if you have too, if you are in distance to wire then wire. When you are wireless you are suscetable to interferance, station loosing reception etc. Also make sure your TX is in range of the console and not too far away as this will give you a dodgy signal. Mine is about 90ft away which is quite good and works pretty well. Many things can cause interferance so just be aware if you get an odd reading or loose signal.

Another bonus of being wired is that data interval is every 8secs instead of the over 1min with wireless.

Sensor Siting:
Search the forum for sensor siting and you will find many answers, but in short;

Anemometer:
You want you anemometer in the most open space many people opt for off the top of the house. You dont want your wind readings obstructed by trees, buildings or anything. But just do your best with what you have. I have mine mounted above a fence. We all cant have perfect met office set ups.

Rain Gauge:
Rain gauge should be sited off the ground to stop splash back adding to readings, it is also ideal to site it in the shadow of something, If it were to be in the open and it was windy then this could shake the bucket and cause a top or blow the rain sideways afffecting your readings.

Temp/Hum:
Your temperature and humidity sensor should be sited approx 1.5m above ground level over a grassy surface. Being near conrete/brick affects temp readings. Its also ideal to scrap the rain cover that comes with the station and get a radiation shield. Again search the forum for “fars” or “radiation shield” for more info on this. At the moment try not too site it in direct sunlight as you will just have stupidly high temps, when you have a radiation shield then you can be more free with it.

"I have set up the 3 sensors on a shelf, this is attached to a 6ft high fence. The 3 sensors are all side by side , equally spaced. Is this ok or do they need to be spread a distance from each other in order to get accurate readings?? This was done yesterday, I am yet to put the batteries in until I have loaded the software.........does this matter ?"

As for the above paragraph ignore being “equally spaced”, its where they are that matters that why the cables are 10m and you can have an extra 10m added. Doesnt matter if the batteries are in. You may as well turn it on and make sure everything is good, you can also erase any data collected when you load the software and start fresh.

Now for the Software installation

The driver disc for the USB adapter does that have to be installed first , before the WS software or doesn’t it matter?

Yes install the usb driver first or the pc wont know its there and the software wont be able to see it. With everything always install drivers first.

The USB adapter for the connection from the PC to the WS looks odd, is there a complete cable that can be used rather than the two that have been supplied??

The cable to connect from the console to the pc is a serial cable. One end has a rs232 connector on and the other an rj11?(or one of the phone connectors, cant remember). Then you have your SERIAL to USB converter which if you pc doesnt have a serial port allows you to plug your console into the usb. NOTE: If your pc does have SERIAL USE IT, you will be much better off using the original data connection.

Another note; you may have problems with the “cheap” adapter provided, it is worth paying a few

Thats brilliant Liam thankyou verymuch, I have done all that you recommended . I take on board what you are saying about wirless , if my cable isnt long enough is there an adapter that will enable me to get it to the house from its current location (12m away).

I have the software all on and it seems to be running very well, the next thing I need to do is take the History information from its current location and put it into a folder, I would rather do this week by week in order to keep the History page readable ( if you know what I mean).

You don’t say where you are, or what type of fence, but if it’s somewhere very sunny, and a wooden board fence, then watch out for that fence getting hot in the sun and heating the air which will affect the temp readings.

I’m from Oxfordshire in England, heat is never really that much of an issue :lol:

No problem :). So your are siting the statio 12m away from your house. The cable connected is 10m long so you will have to pick up a coupler and then plug the extra 10m provided in to reach you house.

What software are you using?

I am also having problems transferring all the information from the History tab to a folder( not managed any so far), the instructions dont seem that easy to follow.

I have also found that my WS seems to gain an hour overnight ??

Right, i wouldnt let the program store the data then you manually move it yourself. You are better off setting a folder for it all to go into and leaving it there.

Make sure your pc time is accurate and the console time is synced. Look for the little tower icon at the top in the middle this shows the time has synced with the DCF77 atomic clock signal.

Are you using heavy weather? If so i suggest you scrap it and find something better, ie Weather Display.

have you tried Cumulus excellent free software
also lots of help on the forums
I am using V1.9.1 build 971
http://sandaysoft.com/downloads

My PC time is correct, the tower icon has been missing, how can I make that a permanent fixture??

Someone on TWO has suggested Weather Display, thiis sounds stupid but how does my WS know to pick from that software rather than the one that was provided :oops:

Hi Marcus
Any alternative software like WD will find the station.
In the initial set up you select from a list of weather stations, and the software will usually find it straight away.
If you don’t like it you can stop using it or uninstall.
The software that comes with the station needn’t be un-installed, although I don’t think you could run them both at the same time.

Sorry Liam I have Vista , I am thinking of downloading
Main Weather Display install file, new compiler version v10.37Q build 11
for Windows 98 / 2000 / ME / XP/VISTA/W7 & NT
Version on 31 December 2010 - 06:49:31

Will I have to delete my heavy weather software first?? :oops:

Oh, that sounds simple enough…I think. Again a dumb question if I have 2 lots of software on my desktop will it just run with the one I have ‘newly’ dowloaded , without any problems? or would it be best to uninstall my ‘Heavy weather’ software that came with the WS?? Sorry for the questions guys, there is so much to take on board.

Cheers

If heavy weather tries to start automatically you might have to disable that somehow?
Otherwise just don’t start it.

Why has some random guy copied the bottom of my post???

Anywho, nope you can keep heavy weather on but dont run both softwares at the same time as they will be both trying to communicate with the console and it just wont happen. Only run one at a time, and once you have chosen the software you like it is easier to stick to that one, although i know you can import data from heavy weather into weather display but im not sure about vice versa or cumulus.

You can download a trial of Weather Display and give it a run and se eif you like it before you buy, or as someone else suggested you can try cumulus too and its free.

As for the tower icon which shows the console is syncing with the atomic clock, im not sure, you will have to look in the manual but in the last few days my icon has also dissapeared and its been on for over a year, so i dont know whats happening. If i remember right in the manual it does tell you the times that it tries to sync with the atomic clock and it suggest to keep the station near a window or something, you dont really have to as mine is not and its had it for over a year now.

Hope that clears you questions up, dont say sorry for the questions we have all been here more than once, thats what we are here for to help each other on the forum. :slight_smile:

Let us know how you get on

I have downloaded the 30 day trial, the whole set up looks better and alot more user friendly, the big problem I have is that its not picking up any data from my WS, the com ports are set correctly…any ideas???

Forum spammer, now removed :wink: