Big freeze returns tonight with 8in

As seen here, so dont shoot the messenger lol :roll:

Big freeze returns tonight with 8in of snow and temperatures of -10C on the way - and forecasters say it could last until MID-FEBRUARY

The second installment of the Big Freeze arrives tonight with up to eight inches of snow drifting in on savage arctic winds as temperatures plunge to -10C.

With severe weather warnings in place for 10 regions, the weather front is expected to creep in through the east of Scotland today and push into Northern England overnight, creating icy conditions by rush hour tomorrow morning.

That will be followed by heavy snowfall throughout Thursday morning and it will get steadily worse until the weekend.

However, whereas the east of the country bore the brunt of the snow last time out, the weather front will attack the west of the UK this time, with Scotland, Wales and the West and Northern Ireland seeing the worst.

Charles Powell, a forecaster for the Met Office, said: 'We have got early warnings out for Thursday and Friday.

'Whereas a couple of weeks ago the main risk was in the eastern part of the country, this time the western side is most at risk.

‘We are fairly certain that the western side will see some snowfall.’

Four inches of snow is expected over almost all of the UK, with up to eight inches in the worst hit parts of Scotland by Friday evening.

If there is good news to be had, it is that the temperature won’t actually get as low as the -99C that showed up over Cornwall on a BBC weather map on News24 yesterday - it made forecaster Daniel Corbett’s face turn white.

However, Mr Powell said the incoming snow would be ‘quite significant’ and is likely to cause disruption to travel networks.

The forecast has prompted fears that, with this weather front following close on the heels of the recent problems, the country is on course for a winter even colder than the notoriously treacherous 1962-63.

A spokesman for the Met Office said: 'A band of rain and snow will move southwards across Scotland and Northern Ireland during the early hours of Thursday with widespread icy surfaces then rapidly developing, potentially around the morning rush-hour period.

Forecaster Aisling Creevey said: 'We’ve had a little bit of a reprieve over the last few days - pretty much everywhere is at risk from snow and icy conditions as the temperature drops on Thursday.

‘And temperatures could be down to -10c in Scotland and to -4c and -5c across the country overnight on Friday.’

Snow is set to feature throughout the weekend but looking further ahead Jonathan Powell, a forecaster with Positive Weather Solutions, said: ‘Our models are showing we will see a white Christmas. The most likely places to have one are Scotland, north-east England, the east coast, the South East and London. It’s going to happen.’

Tell you what Simon, you can have our share of it, keep it up there in Northamptonshire, us old pensioners hate the stuff, mind you I used to love it when I was a kid, the Arctic vortex supposed to be coming right over the top of us, have to wait and see what happens #-o

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I live in hope, thats all i can say, perhaps i wont be too eager towards the end though lol

Yep, it’s looking like we’ll get a band of rain go through tonight, then a rapid drop in temp to below freezing (which should make for a nice layer of ice for the snow lay on).
After midnight the rain will turn to snow and then dump for a couple of days with gale force winds (up to 40mph).
They say that the West will get more of it than the east this time and we’ve been getting weather warnings from the UKMO this morning saying anything upto 20cm of snow expected.

So, lets see, we’re looking at Ice, snow and gales leading to dangerous roads, snow drifts and blizzards.
That’s going to make for an interesting couple of nightshifts!! #-o

If you (Martin) can get to work, that is. :slight_smile: 8O 8O Mind you, you may even get stuck at work for days on end!!! :roll:

It will be interesting to see how it all transpires. :wink:

I’ve got a Mits Shogun that says we’ll get there (and home again).
If not then it’s got heated seats, so no worries there. :lol:

Finger crossed for you…the Wx is on the way from Santa Land to us all :santa: :reindeer: :reindeer:

Bring it on is what i say, Friday night into Saturday morning is looking good so far :slight_smile:

The wind has been steadily increasing up here since about 1300…and the pressure is dropping…quite warm too, so I daresay the warm front may already be close by…then the cold front cometh… :roll: Early morning should see the big temperature drop.

I cant see much snow making as far south as here… but then as my wife keeps reminding me ’ What do I know’ :wink: :wink: #-o #-o :roll:

Stuart

We should get the cold front around lunchtime :slight_smile:

Give me a thought tomorrow morning lads! I’ve been working in Stirling, Scotland for a couple of days and I plan to head back down south tomorrow morning. Going down the M6 just when it’s going to get interesting :?

Not looking forward to it :frowning:

Ooooher 8O…that doesn’t sound too good…maybe the Grampian Mountains north of you will take the sting out of it whilst you get going south before the wind changes from a northerly to an easterly…It would seem that the earlier you get going the better…best of luck :wink:

Interestingly my wxsim forecast aint saying anything for tommorrow
http://www.northantsweather.com/wxwxsimmulti.php

Perhaps i still got something wrong, im gonna do a manual and see how it goes…

Wow, when I first glanced at this subject title, WEATHER was NOt my first thought. #-o
LOL

oh, theres always one aint there!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know! 8O…Best I be careful here…but you have certainly made me laugh :smiley: :smiley:

Oh, there were at least two :lol:

ha ha ha ha…thinking about it, If only pmsl…

The temperature drop is very striking, worth archiving a screenshot and the graph.
It was relatively mild overnight at up to 7C.
A sudden burst of heavy rain at 7.45am heralded the change.
Temperature fell 5C or so in 10 minutes and then slowly edged down more towards freezing as rain turned to snow.