Data Quality

I completely agree with this. In fact, I pulled my station from CWOP a few years ago, but decided to go back and give them another try. Not really sure why…

I’m about to stop mine. They first said my reading was 2mb too low. So i adjusted an offset in WD, Now it’s reading 2mb too high. I told them I have my baromter set to the NWS for my location, but thats 30 miles southwest of me. I’m not going to change all of my settings just to make my data look good for them. It’s iratating. By the looks of it now, the other stations in my area are off and not mine now.

There’s a station within 5 miles from me sending data to CWOP also with this reading right now 17.73 in. I don’t understand how they can compare my readings to something like that to determin if mine are right or wrong. Sorry for the rant, it’s just frustrating when they say your data is wrong.

Good point!
I live in a remote area too, of the 10 stations, mine and two others which are small air fields on generally correct.

I have run a weather station for many years, over the past year or so, I wanted to pay more attention to my weather data quality. The problem is; not all things are equal, what I am saying is that because I live on the side of a mountain, the sun may not come across the mountain going up beside the east side of the house till after 11am, so sure my sensor is cold till mid-day. The air fields in the valley do not have a mountain going up behind the station, at least not 30 yards away.

Having watched closely the data analysis, what I found was out of the 10 stations on my report, 7 of them do not have the correct altitude for calculation, one has a constant error reading of +150mb from the analysis.

I wrote Mr. Gladstone a message today, with a simple question;

There’s no way I’d email the station close to me about there data. I’d think thats CWOP resposibility to monitor the data there getting. To me it just seems they’ll take the data from anyone no matter if its right or wrong and compare others too it. I stopped sending my data.

[quote author=svcrews link=topic=48518.msg393570#msg393570 date=1291598894]
Ok, I am good to go with writing those around me with the bad data, heck I will try to help anyone, but at some point, these guys need to be totally ignored, as at some point their data (when it gets close to mine) effects my data too.

I really don

Hmm - guess I did misread that part about the email. I thought Philip’s system was going to do the emailing. If it’s to come from us through him, then no, I wouldn’t want to do that.

Having gone through this same issue years ago with CWOP…I gave up trying to get my readings to agree with their analysis. I found it’s better to make sure my data is correct and let them worry about the other guys.

FWIW, I have emailed other station owners and find that 95% of the time I get no response. And I have received emails from other stations telling me my data was bad. I appreciated getting the email.

So how do you know your data is correct? I know Davis will NIST certify their stations. What I did was buy a NIST certified Extech Digital Sling Psychrometer and used that to setup my station sensors.

Best way to do it. Unfortunately, distance from a METAR can make that tough.

200 bucks from Davis for 5 sensors. Looks like your Extech idea is a better way to go.

I have had similar replies over the years from CWOP suggesting I contact my neighbor stations and the first year I made that attempt after finding some of them were also contributing to Weather Underground. No responses or even a reply that told me to mind my own business.

I’ve always been curious why those that have amateur radio call signs and participate in radio transmission of data via packet to CWOP are not subject to “quality control checks” like the rest of us.

Just FYI, not all Hams use packet to send data to CWOP (note my call sign below). I don’t, am subject to the same checks you are, and don’t like the way the checks are done.

I stand corrected, and probably should have said, “hams that use packet”, don’t seem to be subject to the same quality control.

Don
W0PSK

Not a problem, Don. I hope you didn’t take my post the wrong way. It was not directed at you, but, rather, the ‘system’.

I used to have trouble staying in the green with MADIS until I picked up SoftWX VPLive…loaded it up and now I’m 2 thumbs up consistantly on all metrics.

http://softwx.com/weather/vplive.html

While that is free, you would also need to purchase their VirtualVP, correct?

How, exactly, does this program keep you ‘2 thumbs up’?

Thanks.

if using WD for CWOP uploads and live at altitude, and have a Davis VP, then make sure to set to use the altimeter barometer setting in the CWOP setup merlinwx

Thanks Brian. I’m reporting to CWOP and WU directly from VPLive. Feeding VPLive and WD from VirtualVP. These SoftWX programs are great products.

WD uses the same altimeter barometer routines as VPlive does (Steve provided them)

Can the altimeter barometer routine be used with the Davis Vantage Vue? On the CWOP setup page mine shows all zero’s for the readings…

that might be a Mac version problem I suspect
(would need a windows Vue user to confirm if works on the Vue)