Web cam software?

Hi,

I have been using a network camera for over 10 years with WD and have had three of them bit the dust lately. I don’t want to try for a fourth since they are expensive and I am considering Logitech webcam instead.

My question is: what is everyone using for software with a webcam? I haven’t been able to learn much about the bundled software and if it can take a picture on schedule and dump into a file for WD to pickup and upload. My station is on a dial-up. Does the WD’s capture routine in the program operate a webcam like it did such a great job with my network camera? I just want to capture a photo every hour and let WD send it up to my webpage.

Thanks,
Jim

WDWebcamCapture Software works fine with the Logitech webcam series - the pick of the bunch is the Quick-Cam Pro 9000 (I have tried three different Logitech cameras) and is ok. There are better cameras like the Panasonic BN140A ?? (can’t quite remember the proper model name) Niko will help here… :slight_smile:

Graeme

Close, BL-C140A :wink:

No wonder I couldn’t google it! #-o

Thanks for the info on Logitech too. After three failures in two months, 2 in one week, I am kind of gun shy on network cameras for awhile. The station/computer is unattended now until next June so I have awhile to think about it.

Jim

I use until few years, free YAWCAM software for surveillance and WD with my Logitech webcam.

It

What type of network cams did you have problems with?

For what it is worth I use a pogram called “Easy Web Cam” ang I am using a Logitech Sphere Camera never had a problem with it, see the picture at the top of my website.

Good luck in your search

Geoff

I cant begin to tell you how many different software applications for Webcam’s i’ve tried over the years… Way to many to count!

The most recent I’ve messed with (and really like by far) is WebCamXP. For a stand-alone program, it’s really great. It’s more geared towards home security, etc., but I find it does a great job for what I want it to do. It does a fantastic job streaming live too.

Have a look at: http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

I will say that they provide a full use trial for 60 days. I was having an issue and wrote Customer Service and received an email back within an hour.

I am using Sebectec software for an Olympus digicam with an early feature of the RYE series of digicams including the C500UZ and C750UZ cameras, but there is a better younger camera SP500UZ that restarts easier after a power outage. I am running it at 640 x 480 - the lowest the diicam is set for. Excellent pics and pretty good even into the sun. Check it out here… http://www.sebectec.com/ It can FTP the image and a thumbnail every minute to every hour and every minute in between… I grab the image from across the LAN and add the overlay and FTP with WD.

Graeme

I am trying to adapt software to the camera I have in order not to buy a new camera but it seems for a good set up it is better to decide what software to use and then obtain the necessary camera. Digital cameras obviously still provide the best photos. In my case I obtain a $20 A20 secondhand Cannon camera with the the remote control software which takes photos in intervals and then simply wrote a batch file and using windows scheduler to upload, move and delete the photo files to the web site. It provides lovely photo’s and operate without any problems. This is very limited and thus my decision to follow the route of obtaining established software. I have tried several of which YAWCAM seems good but it does not seems to support digital cameras. Sebectec seems to be doing everything I intend do. However it seems only to be for certain Olympus cameras. CAM2COM support certain Cannon cameras, CAM4YOU is similar etc. Thus it seems to come down to preference and what you intend to do.

I am guessing your question is nothing to do with weather display and the weather display web cam software
did you come across this old thread via google or similar?

Hi Brian,
Yes you are right it popped up when I googled weather webcams. It seems web cams are being used in conjunction with many weather stations. Hence people are using third party products for the photo as well as WD for their weather station. Correct me if I am wrong please. I am not familiar with WD at all but will definitely look into it as I am aware of it now in order to implement it. I am setting up from scratch and thus a steep learning curve.
Thanks

yes alot of people do use it in conjuction
I do that myself, and create videos , auto as well

You can import METAR values from an airport and use them as the weather station I think, and transfer to the image as an overlay. It will then FTP the images when and where you want them to go.