Weather Display and Android?

I’m just having a thought. I’ve currently been given access to Google AppInventer to make applications for Android devices. I don’t know the system full yet but slowly going through the tutorials.

I’m thinking of writing an application that reads your clientraw.txt, file that you can specify, which would finally mean accurate weather information for our device.

Is it worth me investing time into developing some kind of app like this? Would people use it at all? Would people pay for it?

ps Brian feel free to move this to another part of the forum if u believe to do so.

Have you seen this thread which is free and works for Android phones as well as Iphones etc and does what you suggest?

Stuart

Yes i use it…but its a web app… im talking native app… and if i can im thinking of replacing the HTC app even.

Yes OK you have to use a browser to view it but even with a native app you need an internet connection so the only difference is the browser which for me I’m probably using anyway and since I have cut down pages for mobiles which take less bandwidth its no big deal. Dont get me wrong its still a nice idea just that I’m not sure I’d use it instead of the browser.

Stuart

u’d actually cut down alot more on download usage with a native app than a browser up… might be around 5% of the what the browser app uses because it only grabs the figures it needs and not the whole shell around it… That and u can also make it look prob alot prettier because your not having to use all the resources up in HTML and CSS sheet coding on the server side… everything gets done on the client side.

Yes I’d agree with you about bandwidth but then again I’m not a typical user. Being retired I am often at home and use Wi-Fi so negating the bandwidth problem and there are a fair number of free Wi-Fi connections available in cafes etc so even out and about I dont need to worry. Also being retired I dont often need to find out what the weather is in and around Broadstairs since I am usually in Broadstairs :wink: :wink:

As I said its a good idea. I’d prefer it to be free mainly because I’m a supporter of free software. :wink:

Stuart

Beware of thinking of the clientraw as a free resource, some users do not take kindly to others harvesting their files :wink: (I’m OK with it so long as someone doesn’t sit on it for hours.)

I understand that… I’d be putting a limit on it and not be making it leachabe. Besides a mobile phone doesn’t exactly need a 3sec read all the time… Most apps take a read every 5 mins…

Sounds good!

I got a beta invite for that also. I’m just a hacker though ](*,)

Hello to everybody!!!

As i saw you are searching an android app for WD weather stations. I have a widget that uses clientraw data, with some good graphics. It’s free so everybody can try it.
The link is

Feel free to send me any comment, so i can make it better!!!
Thank you very much

[quote author=gpap link=topic=47953.msg389447#msg389447 date=1288205258]
Hello to everybody!!!

As i saw you are searching an android app for WD weather stations. I have a widget that uses clientraw data, with some good graphics. It’s free so everybody can try it.
The link is

Feel free to send me any comment, so i can make it better!!!
Thank you very much
[/quote

I realise that the bar code will take an android phone there but it would help others to see what it does if you have a normal web page we could look at?

STuart

A good preview you can find here http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.gpap.myweath/.
If you install the wiget you can tap on the title “weather” and you go to a page so you can input the link where is your clientraw.txt.
If you tap the icon of the weather you go to the page of the server that you input before.

You’re way ahead of me then :oops:

Nico, those QR codes will take you directly to a url.

I downloaded the app, installed but after getting to the about screen
the open is greyed out and uninstall isnt

i try to use your link in cnyweather, but i couldn’t find the clientraw.txt, is it open for the app to find it???

yep

cnyweather.com/weather is the directory.

Thanks, installed your widget on the HTC Buzz/Wildfire.

FYI
The top and bottom of the widget is cut off.
The word weather is only shown half of it and so is the updatebutton at the bottom.

Thanks for the reply!!!
In the normal mode or in the Landscape mode you see it cuted???

gpap, am I missing something as to why my Open button is greyed out?

Thanks.