Recovering Settings

My weather computer got hit by a very nasty virus the other day that took over the computer and infected 1000s of other files. It left the system unrecoverable, so I had to do a clean install on a second HDD.

To get WD up and running again as quick as possible, I copied the WD directory from the old HDD, removed a few infected .exe files from it, then installed the latest version of WD over the top.

WD runs fine now, remembered the setup for my weather station etc. However, all the other settings seem to have vannished. For example all settings in “Control pannel > FTP & Connections METAR/NOAA” are blank. So I need to know how I can copy those over to the new installation. Are the settings stored in a file or in the registry? What are the files or registry keys I need to copy over?

WD will still run on the infected drive, so alternatively, is there a way to export/import all settings?

Thanks

If backup is configured on WD you will find in \databackup\wdisplayftp.reg double click on that file and it is my understanding that it will import the ftp settings into the registry. Not sure if it will do the noaa stuff.

There is also the wdisplay.ini file you will find some application specific settings there, not sure if this file is overwritten when you do a new install.

normally what I do with a new install is.

1. Install a new WD
  2. Copy all the old wd over the new install
  3. install wdisplayftp.reg
  4. download and unzip the wdisplay.zip

Alternative if your infected WD is still available you can export the registration settings. Action–> backup wd registry settings. That might bring the connection settings across for you.

H.

Thanks GOBB that’s just what I needed. All done and sorted!! Are there any other registry entries that need to be coppied over do you know?

Also regarding your method of updating WD to latest version, installing the latest version will never overright your data or settings. It’s quite safe to just install over your old install. If you copy your old install back over the new one, that will just revert it back to the previous version. I do normally backup the WD directory before installing an update just as a precaution, but I’ve never had to use it. JFYI :slight_smile:

there is just that one regsitry setting :wink:
(note like a HP printer driver software!)

cheers for the info Brian!

Isn’t that the most horrid software known to man? :frowning: