"used" Boltek 250

Greetings!
I am negotiating with a person for a

[quote author=svcrews link=topic=47543.msg385833#msg385833 date=1285470077]
Greetings!
I am negotiating with a person for a

1. I see that this comes with a serial to usb conversion cable, under windows 7 have you had any problems with the device drivers that support this hardware?
    I’ve been using LD-250 since '06. Now w/ W7. I settled w/ Cablemax ser-usb http://www.compusb.com/index.php/usb-to-serial-adapter.html

2. If you had a choice between the 250 and PCI, under windows 7, which would you choose? pci

3. Are there any questions you would ask from the seller, who has no way of testing it, other than the lights on the box come on?
    Did previous owner have problems with noise? Noise problems could indicate antenna problem, or incorrect location.

It comes with the Lightning 2000 software, although it is an older version. Yes, I understand the licensing issues, but maybe it can be re-licensed to me, will have to ask. I highly recommend L2K for accuracy, especially closer range. It also offers more analysis and customization. Contact Mark [email protected] and see if license is trnsferable. I used both Nexstorm and L2K. Try both. Do you want looks, or accuracy?
L2K will soon have a new web interface.

1. Have you ever had to deal with Boltek for product support, how was it? Not exactly quick.

I am willing to take a chance, maybe, but you folks are most familiar with the product, and I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks!
Steve
[/quote]

The pci card can determine the type of strike, the 250 doesn’t do that.

Yeh, but he has a laptop.
Analysis can still be performed though. Energy, stroke, flash, overall intensity, severity, close flash, threat assessment, etc.

I didn’t see he had a laptop, just that he was asking about the pci version, and although there had been two votes for pci nobody had mentioned the stroke type yet. I don’t disagree that the 250 is a very worthwhile acquisition.

Henrik, MadAl, Niko,
Guys, thanks for ALL the info, great input!
No laptop, I have two dedicated weather desktops, 4-gig memory, plenty of HD, etc, can handle most anything. Both of these computers are running windows 7 ultimate, 32 bit.

Having no experience with boltek, and related software, I had run into issues a few years ago, on my first Davis Vantage Pro, with the serial to usb conversion. A serial card fixed it, on the second Davis Vantage Pro, no problem, it was newer, and USB.

For 4 years, I have run VWS, and Grlevelx on one of the PC

[quote author=svcrews link=topic=47543.msg385900#msg385900 date=1285526471]
Henrik, MadAl, Niko,
Guys, thanks for ALL the info, great input!
No laptop, I have two dedicated weather desktops, 4-gig memory, plenty of HD, etc, can handle most anything. Both of these computers are running windows 7 ultimate, 32 bit.

Having no experience with boltek, and related software, I had run into issues a few years ago, on my first Davis Vantage Pro, with the serial to usb conversion. A serial card fixed it, on the second Davis Vantage Pro, no problem, it was newer, and USB.

For 4 years, I have run VWS, and Grlevelx on one of the PC

Thanks, that is where I am leaning, although, it all comes down to $$$. I can add another serial card if I had to in the new set up.
Again, THANKS!!!
Steve

I own a 250 for over a year now and can only recommend it.
Go get one if you can - really good to use.