La Crosse 2308/ PC Issue

My dad got a weather station and everything seems to be working fine with all of the senors. He’s using heavy weather, and everytime he plugs in the com port cable to the PC, the wind speed spikes on the consol to 57mph. When he unplugs it, everthing is fine and back to normal. These cables are so basic, I have a hard time thinking the cable might be bad, but who knows i guess. These are the times living 6 hours apart makes things tough to help him…lol… So any ideas would be great, Thanks.

There are numerous posts about wind speed spikes with the Lacrosse 23xx units. Search
the forum, you should find lots of info about cable noise and how to fix it.

-Keith

Try running the console on batteries and disconnect the AC adapter.

I have read reports where using the USB connection and the AC adapter at the same time can cause problems such as you have mentioned. However, it could also be stray electromagnetic radiation getting into the unshielded standard cable.

My 2308 ran without problem for a couple of years with the console on batteries. I am running cabled, and the batteries last for 8 or 9 months, so I replace them every 6 months, when daylight savings time changes, just like smoke detector batteries. A couple of days before the batteries fail, the readings will get strange.

After a couple of years of successful operation, I replaced my AC rooftop unit and started getting occasional wind spikes when the AC was running. As described elsewhere, replacing the anemometer cable with a shielded cable should go a long way to addressing the problem, but I have decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to a Davis once it cools off enough to work on the roof without sticking to it.

Steve

Thanks for the tip. I dont have that issue with mine, But i’ll let my Dad know to try that and see if it works.

An interesting variation on the wind spike issue there.

My own system works fine until there is dampness in the air - mist or foggy conditions cause spikes to 114mph. Rain doesn’t cause it, just the damp misty conditions. I keep meaning to replace the cabling with cat5 but I haven’t got round to it as yet.
As a little note, I did reduce the spiking to just the damp issue by running the wires through some old conduit I had lying around. It stops the wires from flailing around in the wind which also seemed to increase the spikes.

Mark

My Dad is up and running. He’s using WD to upload his data to Wunderground. He’s on the 30 day trial period, But he really likes it, and will be buying it soon. Another happy customer…lol