WD Web Site

Strange. I just clicked on your MDDHosting link again and now it

They rolled out a site re-design in the last few hours 8O Shared hosting is now https://www.mddhosting.com/support/cart.php?gid=24

Most disconcerting! Before signing up with them I would ask if they are planning to continue shared hosting.

Update: I contacted support. They are going to (their own) cloud hosting replacing the old shared hosting plans. I asked specifically about wx sites with continual FTP data updates and the response is “We run a few sites that do just that so it shouldn’t be an issue.” Not sure what to tell you. They certainly treated me very well in the past but it would be a hassle to change again if the cloud thing doesn’t work out :dontknow:

Some timing for me…can

So, is this link you pasted the actual Shared plans that I would want? I thought you said they did away with Shared.

When clicking on order it is saying

[quote author=csonni link=topic=47201.msg537030#msg537030 date=1531733111]
So, is this link you pasted the actual Shared plans that I would want? I thought you said they did away with Shared.

When clicking on order it is saying

[quote author=csonni link=topic=47201.msg537029#msg537029 date=1531732510]
Some timing for me…can

Maybe you can report back with your impressions.

So far so good. Looks just like shared hosting. Uploading clientraw’s every few seconds and it hasn’t protested. I have had about 6 FTP sessions open at the same time with no errors. cpanel is pretty much the same. You can choose the version of php in cpanel, you may not want to go to version 7 if you have old php scripts. Secure FTP (ftps/sftp) may be extra, I don’t how much. Support seems to be as good as before, note that it only took a few minutes to get responses to questions late on a Sunday night.

I may give them a try. I’m gone a few days and will give it a go when I get back. I’ll check back here beforehand. Thanks.

I

MDD told me Sunday that current shared hosting customers won’t be moved to cloud hosting unless they request to move.

Just was looking over WeatherDisplay Live. Is this what some have chosen over web hosting? Something I might want to consider?

It’s been running for a week now with no problems.

Weather Display Live uses Flash, which is obsolete, for display in a browser. Support for Flash ends 2020, afaik, but lots of people still use it on their web pages!

Rather than create a new topic I thought it best to reply to this old one of mine.
My GoDaddy hosting is up for renewal and it’s almost three times the cost of when I originally opened it 2 years ago. They won’t seem to budge in price either. Any other suggestions that are a lot less than $300 for 2 years? How would I transfer over all my data? I believe I’d have to create a backup from GoDaddy first?

I am using Hostgator for my domain server. It is up for renewal next month. My domain costs $17.99/yr, and an additional $14.95/yr. for domain protection. They will also help you to transfer your existing domain name over to them. I have not had any trouble using this Company.
You can make a backup of your existing site by using FileZilla or something similar. Just download your site files to your computer. Then after selecting your new host and getting set up, you can upload it. If I recall correctly, it takes anywhere from 25 to 72 hours to transfer a domain from one host to another, so make sure you set up your new site BEFORE the old one expires.

Disclaimer: I am FAR from an expert, but I think this is how it works.

Thank you. I will get on that right away. I have 5 days left with my host.

I STRONGLY recommend that you maintain your Domain Registration at a separate company then your Host Provider.

That way if something happens to your host you can quickly get a new host and point your domain to the new host.

Also over the years I have seen some Host providers hold domain registration hostage if you try to move away from them.

1: Always register your Domain directly with a Domain Registrar, ie… GoDaddy, Register.com, Network Solutions…
2: Keep your Registration separate from your Host provider

My inflation adjusted 2 cents… FWIW :wink:

-Bob

Thanks for that very pertinent advice.

I just created a new web host account with Hostpapa.
For WeatherDisplay, is there any need to restore my backup from GoDaddy or do I just tweak some settings in WD?
Hostpapa gave me their name servers to have GoDaddy point my domain to. Should I first restore a backup or take care of getting my domain set?