1-wire detector for night sky

I have setup a detector using the DS18S20 1-wire thermometer to see if it cloudy or clear. I have used a small piece of plastic (20 mm X 60 mm) painted black with the DS18S20 glued to that and then black gu covering it all. The unit is mounted to the top of the Stevensons screen which holds the main temp for my WX station.
It all works quite well. :smiley:
A very cheap night time cloud detector!
Cheers
Philip

is that using the night time cloud cover function in WD (using a temperature sensor in a black body)?
( I did have that working, but have not reserected it after moving houseā€¦something I could look at redoing ā€¦just have to find the spare timeā€¦
using a labjack temperature sensor like I had before (and add soil temperature again))

Yep! Underā€™Setupā€™ and ā€˜Advanced Settingsā€™ The unit is not in a glass jar but in the open.
I had to reduce the Overcast setting to 0.1, but that was all.
Cheers
Philip

there are some older threads about putting the temperature sensor into a black body
I just used a slab of polysterene painted black on top and had the sensor sitting on the top side, in a cavity with gladwrap (clingwrap) wrapped over to keep rain /hail off it
worked reall good (the polysterene acted as a insulator from longwave radiation given off from the soil surface)