Rain, Rain.. go away

We went up to Decorah on business Thursday and returned on Friday. The weather was to have been stormy but we didn’t get any rain until we got to Ankeny which is about 5 miles up the road. It rained pretty good and alot of flooding in the full creeks already. So we got home and just got the stuff in the house and it really opened up and rained about 0.86 in 2 hours. Thunder was also of good quality. I was sitting at the desk reading the 258 emails and so forth… and there was a clap of thunder. I shouted “Well, I am going to need to clean out my underwear after that one.” I thought my granddaughter would split a gut on that one.

Anyway, I noted that the total rain fall to date is near 30 inches and the average since 2000 is 32 inches. I am certain that the year total by end of the year will exceed that amount.

I am attaching two charts, if it will load showing this… Kind of makes me wonder what winter holds in store… I wonder if it will be the same as last season…

So how do you like living in the tropics? :wink:

Hasn’t been much better here in Oklahoma. Although this last hot spell (finally lifted the heat warning last night because it’s been so hot for so long it’s dried out the moisture in the soil) has made me wish for rain, we haven’t had any in over a week.
` MONTHLY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY for JUL. 2010

NAME: KOKTULSA13 CITY: Tulsa STATE: OK
ELEV: 620 LAT: 036:09:23 LONG: 0095:52:28

TEMPERATURE (

I’ll take some rain.

Zilch for months now.

ya, mon… Ah’s is bout ready to go to rain forest and pick ma coffee beans

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Lake-Delhi-Dam-Has-Been-Compromised-99164894.html

This is what happens when there is 12-14 inches of rain in 2-3 days. My Father in law lives on this lake(or what used to be a lake) there are reports of entire houses floating down the river right now.

its only 35 miles north of me

Brad

well… the dam in New Delhi Iowa is not in good health, water punched a hole in the dam.

I wonder how safe Coralville and Saylorville are?

WOW! That was some rainfall max - high and different from the mean for June - it seems to be following the pattern you had in 2008 (your record year so far) with another week to come. I hope your dams Saylorville and further north hold out for you.

Graeme

if Saylorville would go. North High definitely would be a loss as would most of downtown… I would be safe but still a lot wouldn’t . It is sort of funny that that dam at Saylorville was built to control flooding downstream. some good it has done.

I recall that when I was in high school, the river did flood, but the levees held and the National Guard patroled them. Now the Guard is in Iraq and who knows where protecting those who are not grateful … anyway … then they built the dam and we have flooding over the areas that were to be protected.

They have an old hydroelectric dam downtown that hasn’t been used for years, I figure that if they would take that one out and the small one about 1/2 mile south… the level of the river would drop about 20 feet and then that space could be used to hold the excess from the dam. But then again… what do I know…

This dam that collapsed is over in Eastern Iowa, NE of close to the Mississippi… well maybe 60 miles of it . They said that they knew water was running under the dam and couldn’t repair it in time… a few months ago

I am thinking we will top out around 40-50 inches like in 1993, but then again it is sure humid today but cool outside… winter should be interesting. :wink:

here are some pictures from the DM Register on that dam breach

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=D2&Dato=20100724&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=724003&Ref=PH

Fascinating photos - thanks for the link. I had already checked out the other link and video. :slight_smile:

TK