Forecast Schedule

OK, I have been using WXSIM for quite some time now, 99.9% of the time in auto mode. I cant’ seem to get a handle of the optimum time of day or number of forecasts I should be doing each day. The NWS forecasts for the most part always are more accurate than mine. I have scoured the forum for some hints on this and can’t seem to find what I need.

Currently I am doing a forecast just before sunrise and another about 15:00.

Any suggestions???

Many thanks!

Al

www.BarrowCountyWeather.com

About 50 miles North East of Tom’s “Headquarters” :slight_smile:

I have my WXSim run a forecast every 3 hours from 03:38am (02:38 UTC), except for the midnight one, so that’s 7 runs a day.
When I started I used to run 3 a day, at 04:00, 12:00 and 18:00 but I wanted it updated more often.

Hi Al,

Since you’re so nearby, I think you might want to try more or less what I do: 8 AM, 11 AM, 4 PM, 10 PM (a few minutes after these hours, actually). You might also throw in a 6 AM so you have a fresh one to look at in the morning. It works almost as well any time of day, but mid morning and early evening can be a bit iffy temperature-wise since the temperature is often changing very rapidly at those times. Also, it’s good to have a run made shortly after fresh GFS data becomes available. I haven’t checked lately to see exactly when that is, but I think it’s around 2 AM, 8 AM, 2 PM, and 8 PM EDT.

Hope that helps!

Tom

Thnaks Tom,

I will give this a schedule a try and see how it goes.

I hope you are staying some what cool in this heat wave we are having :slight_smile:

Al…

<<I hope you are staying some what cool in this heat wave we are having

Al…>>

Thankfully the AC’s working! Actually WXSIM has been overestimating the highs a bit lately (but nailing the lows). What about in your case?

Tom

Hi Tom,

In my case the highs have been right on and lows not so good :slight_smile:

Al

My 2p CST models are very good; highs and lows. I’m still bouncing back from ‘too high’ because I wasn’t using ‘stop am rain’.
I canxd my 10a CST/4p CST/8P CST models as those were way off. Now, my 6a/12p/2p models are starting to improve.

I’ve found the real key to be refinements in the ‘stop am rain’ and only use it when winds ese-sw.

Of course, it will be interesting with the hurricane.