Listen to other aprs data now

In a new vers 9.08d, uploading now, go to setup, wunderground etc etc/aprs setup
then scroll down, then click on listen (you need to be connected to the internet)
then the current weather data feed is displayed
you can then enter a CW number (e.g CW1234) or a call sign and only have that data displayed as it arrives.

Hello Brian and all.

I’ve discussed and asked this before on the old message board but still have continuing problems getting my WX data to APRS network in a “Validated” manner e.g.

WD data dump: Raw packet: KK6RW>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,KK6RW:@302330z4722.93N/12244.10W_023/000g000t049r000p000P000b10239h29 1

UIVIEW Data Dump: Raw packet: KK6RW>APU250,N7GME,N7NEI-10*,qAR,N7NEI-9:@302348z4722.92N/12244.10W_334/003g008t048r000p000P000b10239h30

the TCPXX* shows this is not a valid Amateur Radio call info but I am using my AP number in the Ham call Sign Number box under APRS setup.

As shown, I can dump WD data to UIView which then sends to APRS.

Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Randy

WD sends the data with TCPIP*:@
before the data stream

your ham call sign,

qAX,KK6RW

is sent with the initial pass command…

but i think it should be all in capitals

WD sends the data with TCPIP*:@ before the data stream

your ham call sign,

qAX,KK6RW

is sent with the initial pass command…

but i think it should be all in capitals

This is my problem though Brian, when my data is sent through WD, it adds the TCPIP* only if validated, however as my example showed, the TCPIP* is replaced with TCPXX* indicating the data dump was not a legitimate and registered ham call dump. If I were using a CW #, I would expect this however I am using an AP # for my validation.

If I view my data on Findu, it shows the TCPXX* instead of TCPIP* as it should as the data is generated by a legitimate Amateur call sign.

What am I missing here? Is it in my setup of the APRS? Perhaps you can give an example of proper setup for licensed ham using this feature.

Thanks,

Randy

its not WD changing it to TCPXX

I know of others who have the validation working…
but i am not expert (i am not a ham)
Russ Chadwick might be able to help, but he is away at the moment
I will get someone else to read this post and give some ideas too

“Ham Call Sign Number for Pass Command”

Could this be changed to "Licensed Ham APRS Validation Number

its not WD changing it to TCPXX

I know of others who have the validation working…
but i am not expert (i am not a ham)
Russ Chadwick might be able to help, but he is away at the moment
I will get someone else to read this post and give some ideas too

I exchanged email with Russ when I first signed up for the APRS system. He is the one who processed my validation number.

Any help from any hams successfully using the APRS feature of WD would surely be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Randy

"Ham Call Sign Number for Pass Command"

Could this be changed to "Licensed Ham APRS Validation Number

I think the change is a great idea Brian. The wording better describes what information is required for that parameter.

Regards,

Randy

ok, i will do that.
spider told me that is what is needed (it was his quote i posted)

Randy,
I have been sending data from WD to APRS for about 1 year now with no validation code that I am aware of. Just checked the setup for APRS and it has a value of -1. I beleive that is Brian’s default entry.
Fred
WA1DLZ

but if you are a registered user, you can enter in your code, and then your data can then be passed onto the airwaves as registered weather data, and can be used by others more easily, etc…or something to that effect…
(i am no expert on this, i just do as I was asked)

If you use the -1 validation, the APRS servers will assign it a TCPXX header. This gets your information into the internet system and to the CWOP database…however, it won’t be transmitted via RF on the APRS network. This prevents unlicensed stations from transmitting data once their information gets to an APRS Igate. Having the registered validation code enables it to be transmitted RF…hope this is clear as mud

I have a couple of questions about the “sentence” WeatherDisplay itself sends directly to the
APRS IS (findu.com), as used by CWOP/APRSWXNET stations.

Using WXNOW.TXT with UI-View (APRS), I see a packet like this at findu.com:
KE6AFE>APU257,WIDE2-2,qAO,N6TBQ:@031933z3658.93N/12200.92W_223/008g014t059r000p001P001b10225h56/fW
This packet was heard on the radio by Wayne N6TBQ, who forwarded it on to the internet.

Using WeatherDisplay only (“setup APRS”), I see a packet like this at findu.com:
KE6AFE>APRS,TCPIP*,qAC,KE6AFE:@031940z3658.93N/12200.93W_211/007g013t060r000p001P001b10225h51 4
This packet was sent directly to the internet by WeatherDisplay.

I’ve got my “APRS validation number” figured out and entered for use with WeatherDisplay.
Note the packet shows TCPIP instead of TCPXX. It would show TCPXX if I wasn’t a registered APRS user and licensed ham.
I have a validation number because I’m a licensed ham who’s previously registered (paid for) some APRS software.

My question is, what is that final character in the sentence sent by WeatherDisplay alone?
And why is it there? Can it be removed?
For some reason, UI-View doesn’t display my humidity when it hears this sentence, but it does display all data correctly when it hears a packet sent from UI-View or APRS+SA (APRS softwares) using WXNOW.TXT from WeatherDisplay.

At the end of the line, after the humidity data, is a space and then the “4” character.
In my case, it seems to always be a “4”, but I’ve seen other numbers on other users’ packets.
The “4” doesn’t seem to be used by APRSWXNET. What is it?

73, Cap KE6AFE

hi
its a code for the weather station type (you must have a davis )
maybe i should have a RMK before it, or a / or similar?

Ah… Thanks. Brian. Yes, I have a Davis WM II, hence the “4”.
Not sure what would make it work to display humidity properly in UI-View. Perhaps a “/” separator as you suggest. That seems to work for the WXNOW.TXT file.
I suppose some CWOP/APRSWXNET stations can decode it? Mine doesn’t.
73, Cap KE6AFE

i am uploading a fresh 9.70a versio now, with that number taken out, and it will be part of the log on , i.e after weather display verison

That did it! The display in UI-View is now complete, including humidity. Thanks!
73, Cap

hopefully it doesnt stuf others up…