Solar Setup

Hi All
Does anyone have a Labjack with jar sensor working. I have tried to get it working, no luck. I have 0% at sun set and 100% at sun rise and jar sensor does not change %? Can someone tell me what the current raw reading is? Thank Joe

Hi
it should work in theory…because its just an extra temperature sensor…
i.e, have you selected which extra temperature sensor to use in the solar setup?

I will try setting it up, and see what results i get…

Yes I have sensor #1 in top left box in solar setup. Should I set Labjack (using as solar reading) in Labjack setup to yes or no? I have tried both ways. Thanks Joe

no, not if you are using temperature sensor for solar…that option allies to the labjakc used as a ADC for direct conneciton to a solar sensor

ah, i see whats wrong…
i had it set to use extra temperature sensors from a wmr968 station
changing it now so that it will use it from a labjack for any other station type
will upload as a new beta and Zip version now ( a new 10.12z)

Thanks Brian for your help, will look forward to upgrade. Joe

hi
the new update is ready
just make sure you dont have use solar in the labjack setup, under setup, and you dont have use labjack as solar setup, in the solar setup, either…
(as you are using a temperature sensor in a jar trick)

Hi Brian
I tried new update but still have problem. Labjack sensor does not change solar % reading. I have a question, if Labjack temp is below c % temp should solor % 0, and if Labjack temp above c% 100 should solar be 100%, is this the slope for solar scale? Thanks Joe

hi
try starting with the default settings
i.e
1.1 and 7.1

(i.e you cant have a zero for the decimal place)

what those numbers represent is the difference between the temperature in the sensor in the solar jar and the normal station temperature…
i.e, so, if the difference is only 1.1 degrees higher , or less, then the solar % is 0
if the difference is 7.1 oC higher, then the solar % is 100
and everything in between

make sure you have the switch ON, on the right hand side
and you tick update the icons from the solar…

Hi Brian
I have followed your setup info or 1.1 ,7.1,switch on, boxes ticked . The station temp is 92f and I have jar sensor at 84f and the solar is showing 100%, and I have watched it for about 30 minutes. Joe :? :?

How can the jar sensor be cooler than the station sensor :?

I have it sitting inside for testing right know, so I can raise and lower temp. When it works it will get mounted outdoors.

I think it’s going to be terminally confused if the solar heated sensor isn’t warmer, or at least similar to, the baseline sensor. What happens when you heat it up?

Hi
If I heatup Labjack sensor (solar jar sensor) above OA temp solor% stays at 100, if I drop temp below OA temp it stays at 100%. It goes to 0% at sunset and 100% at sunrise.

Hmmm, I see the problem…

actauly, it does go cooler,because you have it painted black, it becomes a black body at night,and looses net radiation heat to space…,… :slight_smile:
i will do some more testing, heating and cooler, here, like you are doing…
we will get there in the end,…

actauly, it does go cooler,,,,because you have it painted black, it becomes a black body at night,and looses net radiation heat to space..,.. :)
I'm going to have to think about that one for a while :? :?

yup, its real, and it actualy happens, others who use the black jar solar sensor can vouch for that :slight_smile: :lol: :wink: :roll:

oh and just a note, yeah, wd does a “increase solar” around sunrise and set, to try an get more chance of capturing to sunshine hours the sunshine at that time…

i have to head to the farm now, and then visiting my dad after that (i mght now only have a month or so to go now), and then in between that and kids home from school, i will try and do more testing with the labjack temperature as solar… :wink:

Thanks Brian
Joe :slight_smile: :slight_smile: