Weather Display for Linux latest version linked from forum only now

Brian,

I am sorry to see this happen. As a long time user (1.5 years) and support, this is unfortunate but I completely understand. Linux is not Windows and is not for those not use to working on systems where it takes effort to support and make things work.

What is really unfortunate is that it has been a few people looking for something free that is actually not free. And in this case they get what they pay out. It is unfortunate that they do not understand this concept.

Question: Will you be doing the same for the wdconsole release? If so, in the near future I would like to talk about an effort I am working on.

Anyway, the Windows release works and is worth every penny. Oh! and the Linux release was great. I was glad that I could help support you with my knowledge, support here and dollars.

Regards,
Mike - N7DQ

its a shame because there are also very helpfull and in the true linux spirit users like yourself/ Yves/coyote/stumpy, to name a few (thanks for all your support guys), out there

I will still continue with the console version, as I know there is a request to add metar download and decoding to that (to get metar conditions)

I wasn’t aware of this sorry to see Linux go :frowning: Brian Ill stay with Windows ver I like WD
Coyote

I have removed optrex’s last posting.

optrex: Your work here is done. I doubt many members will thank you for it, you are now an ex-member of this forum.

I never once complained about having issues with the Linux version knowing that it was essentially free. Linux can be a flakey beast and I just finally bit the bullet, installed XP and XAMPP, bought the software (worth every penny Brian) and all was well.

Brian, I was wondering, can WD fetch me a beer too?

Brian, I was wondering, can WD fetch me a beer too?
it could make coffee if you used a 1 wire 12 volt switch...

some people have been able to run WD for linux OK (Davis users I think)
did you have a 2310 in use?
and then so using the fetch2300?
maybe that was locking up (which then would make WD lock up)?

the Mac version I use myself, and it works pretty good, and there are some people converting to it from the windows version…so they dont have to run a windows pc just for weather data…so it seems to be gaining in popularity a bit…still things to sort out yet…and every compiler upgrade breaks something…the linux version benefited alot once I started using the Mac version myself, and I was just about to upgrade the linux version and compiler too…

No, I was using the Irox during this. When I had the LaCrosse I used fetch2300 exclusively and didn’t even know about your software (started using the LaCrosse in 2006; got the Irox in 2008). Fetch2300 would pull the data from the console directly and parse it into a php file I was creating at the time. You’re software, however, works a lot better. Fetch2300 could take up to 10 seconds to retrieve the records; yours works with so much more speed using clientraw.

Thanks for adding value to my Weather Software.

I use WD with a ws-2357, and it’s run fine on linux / ubuntu
I paid to use WD if you stop and then I get repaid because the console version does not allow this day to have the same functions ?

are you saying you want a refund even though the current version you have works OK for you?

We have had a fine run over the years WS2300, 1-Wire and now Vantage Vue, if the console version can do the metar and a few more tags then this will be where I go next :slight_smile:

Regards
Steve

yes and no, if I can not have updated software, or support, yes (in part at least because I just paid and I would not have done if I knew there had arrested development) because it is not perfect (but this is not a criticism). At least I can run the windows version under linux (with wine)?

yes, I can add more tags to the console version, and add metar download and conditions parsing out

the console version is much easier to update, and its less affected by font issues, etc
and it runs stable

I could still update the GTk2 version every now and then but only via a link on this forum?

the GTk2 version runs OK for you Stumpey, yes?

brd80, I did not say I was not supporting the GTk2 version any more , its just not available for download for new users any more,
because I got tired of the negative comments about my efforts

I can give you a refund if thats what you want

if people here though really do want me to carry on updating it (with the improvements I make via the mac version flowing through to the Linux version), then voice your support here, and I will

ok then that’s all good for me, the console version to fewer settings (or I did not come) I wish to continue the adventure with you on the gtk2 version.

Thank you for your quick responses and your listening
and excuse me for my bad English

I wish to continue the adventure with you on the gtk2 version
great, thats what I am talking about, enthusiasm like that keeps me motivated :)

Hi

I’m sorry to hear GTK2 version was pulled away. I’ve been using it for 1.5 years for now with VP2 (licenced version). And it has been a good ride!

Brian, thanks for the work well done and support so far!

I’d be very happy to see link in the forum for new GTK2 releases.

BR - Timo

And it has been a good ride!

great to hear

thanks for the support guys, I am feeling allot happier now :slight_smile:

Hi Brian

Yes the GTK version runs fine for me other than the small memory leak which has been there ever since we started, all those years ago :slight_smile:

The console version for me is just a step on I have to say I never use the GUI of the GTK version as I use my web site for 99.9% of the information I require. So for me if the console version did most of the tags and the metar of the GUI version then I would be using the console version, its just that the console version is not mature enough for me to use as yet.

Its been fun so for so would be nice to continue :):slight_smile:

Regards
Steve

I read the post you deleted and (from memory) I don’t recall anything in it that was inappropriate.
I think censoring any postings is a mistake - there will be users here who are wondering what’s happening and why.

Brian’s forum, so it’s his rules. I’ve run many a forum where people complain about censorship. He’s pretty evenhanded and lets a LOT of stuff go by that I would have nuked. You may not like my answer, but that’s just the way it is.

Sorry.

You are confusing moderation with censorship. This forum is intended to be, and has a long history of being, a friendly and non-threatening place where users can get peer and author support for weather related software and hardware. It’s my aim as one of the moderators to keep it that way, although actually it has been very rare that any post has been deleted on this forum.

Non constructive and argumentative postings (or links to such posts on another forum) slamming a software and its author contribute nothing this forum.