Davis VP2 and Windows 7

Hi

I am trying to connect Davis VP2 to a PC with Windows 7. The PC is not able to recognize the USB device. Unknown USB unit.
I have updated to new driver an also Weatherlink 5.9.1.
Anyone who knows what this can be?

Ottar

maybe trying resetting the usb data logger (power down the console and remove it for a while)

Look in Device manger under ports and see if you have Silicon Labs CP210x to UART Bridge (com port number). Set WD to this com port number. If not then down load drivers from Silicon Labs for windows 7 CP210x to UART Bridge and install.

yeah, it could be that its set to USBexpress mode?

Hello, I’m new here, and “Ottar” are trying to post this question on behalf of me.

I have tried numerous versions and possible installs, but the drivers will not seem to end up at the right place.
I can see them under “add/delete programs”, but in the device manager under ports they do not show up #-o

Neither on my XP og Win7 install , so either I’m doing something terrible stupid, or I am just stupid :roll:

Could anyone please give it to me with a spoon? How and where should I install the CP210x to UART bridge to get this right please?

Sincerely

Arnt

Hmm… Now I have try to installed the VCP (after I figured out how to) but
despite that the comport appaers, it will not start. Gets a message saying:
This unit can not start. (code 10)

ANyone??

How and where should I install the CP210x to UART bridge to get this right please?
there is a FAQ about how to unset the USBexpres mode (make sure you run the convert program from where you have weatherlink installed)

Does not work… Can’t find any devices and shuts down

Just to make sure. Did you go to Silicon Labs and download CP210x to UART Bridge drivers.

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

Then click on VCp Driver set.

Plus WD needs to be run as administrator as well.

Just trying to help to get it going.

Chuck

Is this windows 7 64 bit os ???
Make sure you have the latest drivers https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx
uninstall the previous ones and then try the new ones.

Yes, its the 64bit version.

Anyway… After back and forth, Vi have now tried on 3 computers, WIN7 64-bit, my laptop with XP which it run fin on the 9 of mars
and my friends Vista machine. Neither will recognice the USB unit. Not will we get he USBtoUARTbridge to start up, so it sticks
with this yellow ! and the message that it will not start(error code 10)

So… We ran out to our old XP machine with weatherlink 5.7.1 on, and USBtoUART bridge with driver 4.28.00 … AND it works like
a charm… and that does not make me more happy at all… since it is on another location, and Im not going to move there for now.

So… tried to uninstall everything on my XP laptop, (regarding drivers, programs for WD etc) and restoring my laptop to 9 of mars
but still … The computer is not able to recognice the USB unit… and it ends up under USB root-hub as unknown unit.

Still frustrated #-o

Yes, several times.

Running WD as admin is the least of my problems, as long as the computer does not
recognice the USB and/or the VP I try to install will not start and thereby finding the
USB when connecting :?

You don’t see the CP210x to UART in your Device Manager at all. That is strange. If I remember correctly if they are installed it would be under Ports.

I am reading the PDF and found this. You don’t want USBXpress. You want the VCP CP210x Cardinal one. Don’t know if you have read this.

I am running XP and I did have a USB logger and it worked fine. I was running Weatherlink 5.8.2 and running Version 5.3 of the CP210x to UART Drivers.

It does appear under ports when I add hardware, but it does not work. It displays
with a yellow ! over it and says that the port cant start. And it always says, when we try
different drivers, that the newest is installed.

So, as long as this is not ok, I guess the computer will not recognice the USB-unit when I
plug it in, just like it does now…

So guess what… On the old pc that it does work, I’m not going to update drivers, BUT how
is it possible to make it work on either my XPlaptop og my Win7 machine here at home… ??

I really appreaciate ALL the help you guys are coming up with… thanks

Did you ever install the USBXpress on your computer and if you did, did you uninstall it.

It does appear under ports when I add hardware, but it does not work. It displays with a yellow ! over it and says that the port cant start. And it always says, when we try different drivers, that the newest is installed.

One more thing when you right click on it what else does it show.

Chuck

It seems like the USBexpressdrivers comes with the Weatherlink 5.9.1 and we have tried
to uninstall everything, just one, updated some and tried to force older drivers in on the VP
with no apparent luck.

It says that it is installed, but may not work as it should.

If it should work with latest Silabs drivers , I can not understand why I experience all this problems :slight_smile:

When you install Weatherlink doesn’t give you a option on what to install. Trying to remember and I just did it. #-o

Did you try to uninstall the USBXpress with the tool from the Davis site.

Chuck

What programs do I actually need to get things up and running on web
usually? Weather Display and Weather Display Live? Do I need to have
WeatherLink innstalled? Since I did not have WL installed om my laptop
and as soon as I plugged the USB in, it promted for the install of USBtoUART
and worked like a charm…

Now I have all the above installed on my Win7 computer.

With the USB to serialconverter U meen?

If so, yes, but it just says:

usbconvert_berlevaag.jpg

Did you put that exe file in your Weatherlink folder then run it.

Chuck