A couple of supplements for the Detail/Summary pages

I’ve designed a couple of additions to the Detail & Summary pages created by Kevin Reed (TNETweather.com), Murry Conarroe (Wildwood Weather), and Lars Magnusson (Axelvold).

First is the wxdetailflyout menu.
You can see it in action on any of my detail or summary pages here.
There is a Readme file in the zip with simple instructions on how to add it to your pages.

Secondly, for those that only have a year, two or three of data and would like more, I designed a script that parses the “Comma Delimited File” information from any WUnderground ICAO location and puts it into the dailynoaareport format.
Using me as an example, I’ve only had my station up and running a few years. However, there is a METAR station here in town at the local airport, with data going back decades. I am adding that data to mine (with a disclaimer at the bottom of my data tables stating …

Data prior to 2008 provided by KDNV Metar weather station. Data from Jan. 2008 and after provided by Vermilionweather.com weather station.

The instructions on this file are located inside the file itself. (noaaget.php).
I can add an entire year in about 15-20 minutes. You just edit the date in the url address and hit enter to enter the data into your dailynoaareport file for the selected month and year.

It must be noted that I do not use the “WD-AJAX-PHP-USA” templates, but they should work in them, but I haven’t tested them with it.

Revised noaaget.php file on 2/16/10, to correct max wind error.
Added metric version noaagetm.php on 2/17/10 . I didn’t try to convert the Heating and Cooling degree days since they aren’t included in the detail & summary pages.

Detail Flyout Menu.zip (2.77 KB)

noaaget.php.txt (6.16 KB)

noaagetm.php.txt (6.56 KB)

So with the noaaget.php file, I could get the data from my previous weather station location which would date back to 2002?

I had it up and running. Took it down when we moved to the new house and started my weather site in 5/2005.
WU has my data back till 9/2002 and I had no way of retrieving it without doing as I’m doing now, re-entering everything
for 18 months while I ran VWS.

The format in the script is for getting data from a ICAO Metar station. It would take a different url code to fetch the data from a standard WU weatherstation. I don’t have time to work on that at the moment, but give me a day or so and I’ll see if I can get that.

Oh I was just wondering. Thats not necessary to do that for me.

Rick,
Great idea on the noaaget file…for those of us who are just starting (or recently restarted)…As my dailynoaareport file resides in root, I have configured the top part of the file as such:

$savepath = '';
                $name = 'Old Line Weather';
                $city = 'Ellicott City';
                $state = 'MD';
                $icaoloc = 'KBWI';
                $elav = '466'; 
                $lat = '039:17:49';
                $lon = '0076:50:23';		

however, when configuring the url like this:

http://www.oldlineweather.com/noaaget.php?day=1&month=1&year=2010

I receive the following error:

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /virtual/users/e16409-17610/web/noaaget.php on line 151

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /virtual/users/e16409-17610/web/noaaget.php on line 152

Look familier?

Looking at your dailynoaareport12010.htm file, it looks like all the data is there correctly.
I ran across a similar error at times when all the data wasn’t there on the metar. As if it was off line for a day or so.

Ahhh…I see.

Thanks,

One item to mention, be sure to check your tables after entering each month or so for “rogue” entries.
I’ve come across a few like a high temp of 176.0 or 5 or 6" of rain in a single day. These are sparse coding errors made by either the WU data or the script missing a comma, etc.

Just give them a good once over after entry for any ballooned data.

Can this be “automated”

?day=1&month=1&year=2010
so you don’t have to change it for every day? Doing this for 365 days for every year is going to take a while :wink:

Interesting script
Mark

Only takes me about 15 minutes to do an entire year.

I tried unsuccessfully to do that. Not saying it can’t be done, but beyond my limited knowledge.

I just uploaded a revised noaaget.php file to correct a sporatic error I notice on detecting the Hi Wind data.
There were times the script would collect the wrong wind data if a data item was missing.

Please go to first post to replace this file.

I received that also on existing reports. I changed the file permissions to 666 and then it worked. The other issue was, that it added the data to the end of the file. So I had to download the file, insert the date in the correct place, and upload. Not much trouble.

Thanks for the script Rick!! It let me fill in the missing data from station issues. :smiley:

No problem drobbins. glad to contribute.
By the way, I’ll be down your way in July.
Family reunion in Glasgow. Hoping for dry, mid 80’s weather. 8)

Well, maybe we will run into each other. As far as the mid 80s weather goes… I just so happen to know of a good website for the local :wink: weather conditions. As you can see on the historical temp chart (with out any missing data) last summer was a cool one without a day over 93! If the jet stream doesn’t change it will probably be the same. 8)
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/wxtempdetail.php?year=2009

This script is great, Rick, but is there a way to display the data in metric?

Just added a metric version to the original post. I haven’t tested it a lot yet.
Give it a try to see if it meets your needs.

The metric version works great, Rick, thanks very much :slight_smile:

Amazing Rick, but strange values here for march 2008 and rest of try-outs:

MONTHLY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY for MAR. 2008

NAME: WeerpaginaZaanstreek   CITY: Zaandam  STATE: Netherlands
ELEV: 0 LAT: 52:26:59 LONG: 4:49:19

TEMPERATURE (C), RAIN (mm.), WIND SPEED (km)

HEAT    COOL           AVG
    MEAN                                     DEG     DEG            WIND                     DOM
DAY TEMP    HIGH    TIME     LOW    TIME     DAYS    DAYS   RAIN    SPEED   HIGH    TIME     DIR
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1   -12.2    -11.7   00:00    -12.8    00:00    55.0    0.0    0    49.9    98.2    00:00    W
2   -12.5    -11.7   00:00    -13.3    00:00    55.5    0.0    0    37.8    74    00:00    W
3   -15.3    -13.3   00:00    -17.2    00:00    60.5    0.0    0    31.4    61.2    00:00    W

brr a little cold for march, while temps were around 12 C (see att) at EHAM NOaa

settings:

$savepath = '../../clientraw/wd-ajax-ml/noaaget/';
                $name = 'WeerpaginaZaanstreek';
                $city = 'Zaandam';
                $state = 'Netherlands';
                $icaoloc = 'EHAM';
                $elav = '0'; 
                $lat = '052:26:59';
                $lon = '0004:49:19';	

something wrong at settings ?

edit:

trying this http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EHAM/2008/3/1/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Zaandam=Netherlands=NA&MR=1&format=1

as

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/‘.$icao.’/‘.$year.’/‘.$month.’/‘.$day.’/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&MR=1&format=1

is oke

noaa eham.jpg

noaaget.php gives me better results, but never rain 8O

noaagetm.php was the metric version ? As I can see here only arctic values :wink:
and no rain as well

Ed, the noaagetm.php script will only convert F outputs to C and other English to metric conversions.

If your source is already displaying metric data, then use the original noaaget.php file as it will just parse the information directly on the WU page to the dailynoaareport format.

As for rainfall totals, looking at the WU station you have listed above, they do not display any precipitation data it appears.
The script cannot add data that isn’t there. You may have to find a different source for rainfall data and just add it to your dailynoaareportmyyyy.htm files.