Hobby Board ADS Wind Instrument

I have a 1-wire system. I am unable to get the wind direction on to work on my ADS. I can see the A/D voltages change when using OneWireViewer from the Maxim site and changing the direction by hand. There must be something I am failing to set in WD but I am dumbfounded. I have everything in my weather system working but the wind direction. Any help would be appreciated.

I am running WD 10.37P on Windows Vista 32bit and the 4.02 device driver for the USB 1-wire adapter, also from Hobby Board.

Bob

Hi n4hy,
I have an entirely 1-wire station with the HB ads board with Inspeed vortex and e-vane.
I am really scratching at the cobwebs here but I think I recall having the same issue. As I recall it was because of an error in either the Inspeed or HB instructions which led me to incorrectly attach the wind vane to the ADS board. If you see the 1-wire device listed but get no readings I would carefully check the logic of the wiring on the sensor side.
If this is not enough to get you going I’ll try to recall more details.
Good luck
w0mbat

Thanks for your note. I do not believe it is a hardware problem. I should have been more explicit. Let me do that here so if others look, we might get some ideas.

IF I check inspeed on the com port control panel in addition to the ADS checkbox, I GET WIND DIRECTION READINGS. As I change the direction of the wind vane manually, the display changes. However, the readings are wrong. They do not correspond to the mapping. I also cannot remap them in WD since I get no values in the Dallas 1-wire page to do a set on and calibrate it.

I am having other problems as well. OneWireViewer from Maxim reads ALL of the Hobby board instruments perfectly and the A/D values correspond exactly to what is in the Hobby Board manual for the ADS wind instrument, barometer, temperatures, etc. but the displayed/calculation values are wrong in WD.

Thanks again for your help.

SLOWLY but surely I am teasing apart this unbelievably capable but unalterably too complex setup interface. I understand the need for these myriad controls but it is very difficult to wade through.

The ADS weather station from Hobby Board IS a 1-wire weather station. But you are asked to input its being using in the com port table in the block where you put in when you enter data if is is NOT a one wire instrument. But from Hobby board, it IS a one wire instrument and they supply the one wire interface for the windspeed and wind direction.

I now have every sensor loaded into WD 10.37P build 21 appearing to work, including the ADS wind SPEED indicator, as well as sending data to my web site (not yet displayed on the web site, but the data IS there via ftp). The one remaining serious problem is the wind direction from the ADS 1 wire weather station not working at all. I have the CORRECT device ROM ID in the “ADS Wind direction” block but the wind direction is non operational.

I got METAR updates from Trenton airport, tweeting my data, etc. THere is no doubt this is capable but I darned sure wish it were easier to set up.

My weather station web page (very rudimentary, raw output from WD with no editing at all yet): http://n4hy.org/weather/N4HY.htm .

So from start to finish, this took three days. The sensors are in temporary locations because of all the snow.

Now if I can just get the wind direction sorted out.

Bob/N4HY

Have you found a solution?
I have same problem also

Sven

I’m new to this (having just received my Hobby Boards equipment a few days ago)…

But my first stumbling block has been the wind direction… :x

I have the ADS working fine - hope I can help.
Ok First off make sure your existing 1-Wire setup is working. I.e temp sensors…

1. Go Control Panel → COM Port → Make sure Use Winspeed/dir from a Hobby Boards ADS and if you are using the inspeed version (more expensive) tick that box also.

2. Go Control Panel → Dallas 1-Wire → On the Main Tab - Enter the rom id’s for Windspeed Rom and ADS Wind Direction.

3. If you have already have an existing station setup you will need to disable it as other stations setup will interfare in WeatherDisplay. (You may need to start from scratch). If you are only using 1-Wire sensors Go Control Panel → Station Type/Settings - Click the Stationless/WLK/Vortex/VWS tab → Select Stationless.

There is a more detailed doco on these forums about how to setup. I will see if I can dig it up.

Cheers

Here is the link.
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/42773

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I followed the instructions on this thread and it started working!

I’ll play with it some more and see if it is stable or not…

Thanks again for your help…

No worries. Hope it works well. More than happy with mine.
You may want to check however that the direction sensor is running true. See here on what I had to do to mine.
http://www.shellypark.co.nz/?q=node/24

Thanks…

I’m running in my basement at the moment (off of a desk fan!). All seems to work okay and the direction seems stable…

I’m going to add the extra sensors one-at-a-time and make sure it works reliably before mounting on the roof…

Spoke too soon! :lol:

Quit WD and re-started and nothing…

Re-booted the PC… nothing

Been through the configuration again and… nothing… :lol:

Dallas 1 wire setup page says ‘No Wind device’

I’ll keep playing with it… :roll:

Do you use the 1-Wire Hub at all?

If you want to see more diagnostics do the following.

1. From the Main Screen go Setup → Advanced/Misc/Custom Screen Settings → Program Tab → Tick “Log raw data for testing…” half way down the screen.

2. Go Control Panel → WS2010=13/WS2500 → you should see the data logs scrolling, see below.

flag result from hum read vad 1
1 wire extra temp 6 23.8
doing the windspeed read routine now 10:18:38 a.m.
windspeed read counter result =1
doing the windspeed read routine now part2 10:18:38 a.m.
flag returned from recallesquared solar 1
raw solar reading =31.5000
doing the windspeed read routine now 10:18:44 a.m.
doing the windspeed read routine now part2 10:18:44 a.m.
flag result from hum temp read 1
doing the windspeed read routine now 10:18:49 a.m.
doing the windspeed read routine now part2 10:18:49 a.m.
flag result from hum vdd read 1
doing the windspeed read routine now 10:18:53 a.m.
doing the windspeed read routine now part2 10:18:53 a.m.
raw solar reading =31.2000
flag result from hum read vad 1
doing the windspeed read routine now 10:18:58 a.m.
doing the windspeed read routine now part2 10:18:58 a.m.
raw solar reading =31.2000
Power count 66

Excellent thanks!

I’ll have a look…

What is the method for setting North on the direction…?

I click Set as N in the control panel and I just get ??? next to the button… ?

Thanks again for your help…

You need to do this manually - turn the vane till you get a north reading in Weather Display. When set tighten the locking screw on the vane. Now twist the vane till it points north. Release the screw till it’s free. (get a correct screw driver for the job)(test it facing north as it can be hard to set 100%)

Thanks…

I’m clearly not configured properly then…

When the display says ‘N’ if I turn the vane through 90 degrees it then says ‘S’…

I’m also getting problems with the software ‘hanging’…

I think I’ll start all over… :lol:

I wonder if the problem is due to different versions of this device…?

In ‘Weather Toys’ it states that the voltages at the A/D Input are either 0V, 2.5V or 5V…

In the Hobby Boards manual for the version I have it shows a voltage range of 0.89V to 9.41V.

The latter corresponds exactly to what I read from my device…

Can anybody that uses this device help me…?

Brian told me this: -

that works OK here in testing the problem most likely is in the voltages for each direction i.e you might need to add a resistor or similar to reduce the voltage returned to what WD expects that is discussed on the forum Cheers Brian

But I can’t find any thread relating to it on the board…

Thanks

Bumpety-bumpety-Bump! :oops:

I’m stuck with this - short of running SImpleWeather I don’t see a solution…?

The voltage range for the ADS is max 5 volts as this is the source voltage.
Somewhere in WD there is a setting to change NESW to SWNE or similar. Make sure you are using no offsets anywhere.
Click the N or S etc buttons on the 1-wire screen could have upset things.

Cheers Daniel