WD Mac Intel - New Install and Upgrade Info

Note: this thread is for install upgrade info and comments. If you need assistance with your setup, please post a new thread to the forum with your request. Thanks.

New Drag to install instructions for Intel Macs
The new design of Weather Display Mac now makes it possible to drag/install the application like any modern Mac program.
These instructions apply to Weather Display Mac version 10.37L build 44 and above, Mac Os X 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Please read the attached Read Me file for more info.

ALL USERS - A default printer should be selected in your System preferences as some usb drivers from various weather station vendors have been seen to incorrectly attempt connections to unassigned ports (sometimes connected user’s printers instead of the station) causing issues for the app on startup.

New User and Full Installations
If your station requires a driver to be installed, you will need to obtain it from the station’s manufacturer. Example - for the Davis USB stations, download and install the Silicon Labs Intel Mac USB Driver, from the Davis Support page.

Basically, for a new installation all you have to do now is open the Disk Image that is downloaded (full install) and opens in a window on your desktop.
Then:

1. Drag the WeatherD application icon to the Application folder shortcut on the left in that window.

2. Double click on the Resources Installer in the lower right portion of the window and follow the instructions in the installer. WMR100/200 Users, Irox users, and LabJack users, you will also need to select the extension in the installer that will talk to your station via usb in addition to the “New Install Libraries - All Stations” in the selection screen. See the Read Me file for instructions.
    You will be asked to enter your administrator password, and a restart will be required.

3. After the restart, open your Applications folder and double click the WeatherD icon to start the application and begin your setup. You will get a warning from the operating system that the app was downoaded and prompting you to proceed the first time you open the application. This is normal so click ok.

Welcome to Weather Display Mac :slight_smile:

Upgrading Weather Display
(Assuming you have installed WD Mac before and it’s icon resides in your Applications folder)
Download the latest Application Update from the downloads page.
Quit Weather Display until after the upgrade is complete.
If it is in a Disk Image that opens a window on your desktop, drag the file to the Applications Folder shortcut to the left, replacing your old WeatherD icon as you are asked by the system.
Eject the Disk Image, which will be viewable either on your desktop or in a finder window, by dragging it to the trash or clicking on the arrow beside it’s icon. The WeatherDisplay.Dmg file you downloaded will be in your downloads folder which can be mounted later should you wish to access it again or back it up although not necessary. No need to install from the Resources installer unless there is a library update and it is posted.
If it is in a zip file, unzip the file you downloaded and drag the WeatherD icon to your Applications folder, replacing the old icon when asked.

You will get a warning from the operating system that the app was downoaded and prompting you to proceed the first time you open the application. This is normal so click ok.

Things that are different now: :lol:

Weather Display, the application and all its resource files, executables and crons, is now entirely contained within the WeatherD application icon, conforming to Apple’s guidelines for Application Bundles. A very good thing that will make upgrading the program a breeze from now on, and eliminating the need for installers for new builds to the application. There will no longer be any need to open the application’s bundle to replace the program’s executables as the complete bundle (the WeatherD icon) will be distributed with every new build, so you will get everything in the app (crons, executables, etc) updated on each build with no more confusion regarding where and how to place each item.

The folder /Applications/wdisplay is now obsolete as of 10.37L build 44 . If you prefer to keep the WeatherD icon in that folder make sure you do not have multiple copies of that icon on your system. However, all of the crons and other files in that folder can be safely deleted. Assess whether any of the files are data files, as they are now kept (and have been since January of 2009) in the Application Support/wdisplay folder. If you decide to delete that folder you should see only a single WeatherD icon in the Applications folder like any other Mac application, with all data being stored safely in the Application Support folder as designed.

No more permissions scripts required to run after upgrading. Now the permissions are set in the application bundle by our fearless developer, so those scripts (although resident in the bundle for now) will no longer be necessary.

This redesign from Windy’s perspective has been a huge undertaking, and demonstrates his commitment to the Mac community as he continues to migrate even more features from the Windows and Linux versions to the already robust and stable Mac version. Now the structure of the application is much more user friendly regarding installation, and improvements to the application can be used by all as they are released without waiting for installers to be prepared. Also the program is completely self contained, which also makes it fully portable as it will now run from anywhere it is moved on the user’s Mac.

Many thanks Windy for the hard work you have put into this new install and upgrade process.
jmar

readme.pdf (28.6 KB)

Congratulations to Windy, and Jmar for making the mac version of Weather Display what it is today.

I just installed build 44, the full install after first deleting the WeatherD.app build 43, and it worked like a charm. Installation and start up is unbelievably fast, no hesitation and little effort needed by the user. Naturally a brand new, never used before installation will take longer as you need to configure everything, but for upgrades it is extremely quick!

Thank you Windy, Thank You Jmar for all your hard work to make Weather Display such a powerful mac application.

Paul

Finally a clean install. Though I got used to the installation procedure this is definitely much better.

Thanks!

one thing to note, if you were using the original versions, the settings and data /logfiles were stored in the application bundle, in the contents/macos folder
make sure to move those to
/Library/Application Support/wdisplay/
before using the new application bundle

Here’s a nubie question. How do I tell what version I’m running? If I do a Get Info on the application Icon in the Finder, it says version 0.1(!). The creator date is Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:31 PM, the Modified date is Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:37 PM. The WeatherD menu does not have an “About WeatherD” menu item, from which I could find this info. I don’t know where else to look.

when you run WD, see under help, about
also the version is shown as it starts up

also you can check the modified date of the WeatherD file in the application bundle, contents, Macos folder

Ah… There is no “Help” menu, but there is an “About” menubar item. Clicking on that does not actually bring down a menu, but instead acts like a button and opens a window with with the information I want. In almost every Mac program the “About ” menuitem is the first one in the menu. I note one other mis-feature (not really a bug, but odd behavior): each click on the “About” menubar item results in the opening of another instance of the same static window.

sorry, it was just an about menu on its own

Clicking on that does not actually bring down a menu, but instead acts like a button and opens a window with with the information I want. In almost every Mac program the "About " menuitem is the first one in the menu. I note one other mis-feature (not really a bug, but odd behavior): each click on the "About" menubar item results in the opening of another instance of the same static window.

as long as the info is shown then I do not see what the problem is?
also make sure to close that window before clicking on the about menu again
(not sure why anyone would click on it again after not closing the window just opened and viewed?)

I am running a MacbookPro Intel with OS X 10.6.5. My weather station is a Davis Vantage Vue with data logger. The WD Web site says it supports the Vantage Vue but when setting up I do not see the Vantage Vue listed in the “Station Type” panel. If I choose Davis Vantage Pro there is no communication between the two even though I have tried using both the tty.SLAB_USBtoUART comm port and the tty.SerialPort.

How should I set up my system?

Thanks.

Hi don0344,

Check out this post here http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/372371 , maybe you can reach out to Dafuser and see if he can get you going.

Paul

the Vue uses the same data logger as the VP
so as far as software goes, there is no difference between the VP and the Vuw
the latest .zip Mac update does now though say Vp/Vue in the weather station type setup

you will need to select the
tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
driver
and also make sure to select the default baud rate
then restart WD
does the data received light then flash?

Where do I find a .zip Mac update? The only files I see are .app files.

its right there on the download page
http://www.weather-display.com/files.php

OK, maybe it’s me and I’m missing something obvious. Some time ago I downloaded the “Full Install,” which is a .dmg file, and have never been able to get it to work on my Intel Macbook Pro running OS X 16.6.5. I have downloaded the “Weather Display Intel Mac Latest Application v10.37L Build 67” which is also a .dmg file that opens immediately to “WeatherD.app” There is no zip folder in this download. One of the replies that I received to my post said “the latest .zip Mac update does now though say Vp/Vue in the weather station type setup”. The versions of WeatherD that I have downloaded do not include the VantageVue in the set up page. That would not be a problem at all if I could get WeatherD to run on my Mac. Davis’ WeatherLink program runs fine on my Mac with the same operating system and hardware configuration with which I am trying to run WeatherD. Some time ago I was able to run WeatherD on a PC with the same Davis VantageVue weather station configuration running Windows XP but I no longer want to use the PC. I want to use the Mac for everything I do and so far have been successful except for WeatherD. I would appreciate any help that would allow me to do this.
Thanks,
Don

when I mouse over the link for the Mac .zip version
from this page
its a .zip file and not a .dmg file
make sure you are actually clicking on the .zip Mac download
(unzip to where you have the Application bundle installed to from the full install)
note that as far as the Vue goes, the davis VP settings works (its the same data logger)
just make sure to have the davis Mac USB driver installed which should then show up in the com port setup

there are others who are using the mac version with a Vue successfully (e.g NorcalDan)

These are the things that are confusing to me:

1. You say “application bundle” which makes me think there are other files that should be part of the “Full Install.” There is a WeatherD.app file and I am instructed to drag it to my applications folder which I do and then it resides there with a lot of other applications. There is also a Read Me text file and a Resources.mpkg that will update the Library.

2. Mousing over the link for Mac zip version it indeed shows a .zip file. But when it finishes downloading there is only WeatherD.app in my downloads folder. There are no other files that have downloaded with this WeatherD.app.

3. The instructions included on the download page state: “Weather Display Intel Mac Latest Application v10.37L Build 67
    for OSX 10.4+ Intel (unzip to replace the WeatherD icon),” which again indicates there should be a folder to be unzipped but there isn’t so I assume I should just drag the latest download app to the applications folder whereupon I am told that the existing file needs to be replaced. Since there are no other files associated with the WeatherD.app it is a simple complete replacement of the original app.

Please excuse my inability to understand what should be a simple installation but when I follow the instructions the installation does not work and I am trying to understand why not. Since there seems to be ambiguity in the file descriptions and download instructions, I am trying to get that clarified.

Thanks for your patience.
Don

WeatherD.app is the application bundle

2. Mousing over the link for Mac zip version it indeed shows a .zip file. But when it finishes downloading there is only WeatherD.app in my downloads folder. There are no other files that have downloaded with this WeatherD.app.

it will have downloaded as WeatherDmac.zip
and that is the file you need to unzip to where you have WeatherD.app (i.e in the Applications folder)

it should not be very difficult

That’s the problem. It does not download at WeatherDmac.zip. It downloads at WeatherD.app.

Here’s a link to the zip Mac build of WD http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherDmac.zip

I tested here, from
it does in fact download as WeatherDmac.zip

note that you will be able to see it download as a .zip file

but the Mac automaticly once its finished downloading unzip the file to its original file
WeatherD.app
which should show as the WD icon in your downloads file
right mouse click , and select, show in finder
then copy that file from the downloads folders to your applications folder