Blackpool - The Las Vegas of Europe?

Chris Admin,

There’s a Brit tourism ad running here that claims (amongst other things) that Blackpool is the Las Vegas of Europe 8O

Really?

Chris Admin,

There’s a Brit tourism ad running here that claims (amongst other things) that Blackpool is the Las Vegas of Europe 8O

Really?

Blackpool certainly wants to be the Vegas of Europe. I think the marketing company are being a bit premature in claiming that title just yet though. Although having said that, maybe there isn’t anywhere else in Europe that is closer to being Vegas than Blackpool.

I guess you’ll be adding another 630 feet onto the tower then?

Blackpool certainly wants to be the Vegas of Europe. I think the marketing company are being a bit premature in claiming that title just yet though. Although having said that, maybe there isn't anywhere else in Europe that is closer to being Vegas than Blackpool.
So do you have the mob, Celin Dion concerts, and people losing their life savings? :P

There’s certainly a drunken mob down on the Prom each weekend. Dunno about Celine Dion, but I’m sure Wandering Walter and his Organ must still be around the resort somewhere. No-one in the UK has any life savings any more. We’ve all lost them to the government :wink:

I guess you'll be adding another 630 feet onto the tower then?

Someone probably has a master plan for a 2000ft wind generator about 500ft off shore. That seems to be the latest plan for electricity in the UK. Not sure what we’ll run our PCs on when it’s calm though!

http://www.blackpooltourism.com/about.asp

Spot the cute, inquisitive squirrels,
Just like "the city of Sin" :lol:

Thanks for the link, I can see the similarity now, Blackpool has the “600 gallons every few minutes” Hydrostorm, Vegas has the Bellagio fountain :stuck_out_tongue:

[http://www.blackpooltourism.com/about.asp](http://www.blackpooltourism.com/about.asp)
Spot the cute, inquisitive squirrels,
Just like "the city of Sin" :lol:

Stanley Park is my local park. It’s about five minutes walk from here (for those parts of the world where walking is forbidden that’s about 1 minute by car plus 10 minutes to find a parking space).

The squirrels are good fun. Some of them are brave enough to pick nuts out of your hand and sit a couple of feet away eating them.

In the picture of Stanley Park (which looks faked) if you drew a line through the people and Cockers Clock (the tower you can just see behind them) it would pass within yards of my house (about half a mile beyond Cockers Clock).

Thanks for the link, I can see the similarity now, Blackpool has the "600 gallons every few minutes" Hydrostorm

I’ve never been to the Sandcastle. Despite having lived in Blackpool for over 40 years there are still places I’ve never been to. I was 22 when I went up Blackpool Tower for the first time and 21 before I went to the Pleasure Beach. The Pleasure beach is like a small Disneyland that has irritating crocodiles (or is it dinosaurs?) instead of irritating mice.

It’s fun to go up Blackpool Tower and watch all the wimps take one look at the Walk of Death and walk the other way. it’s a glass floor installed at around the 400ft level with a lovely view onto the roof some way below! Despite being a little on the heavy side I like to jump on it :twisted:

It reminds me about the new building our research people built. It had a glass walkway across the building atrium at (I think) the fourth floor level. It took them some time to work out why some men wanted desks near it, some women (those who realised they were wearing skirts) wouldn’t cross it and a lot of scared people came down to the ground floor to cross to the other side!

I hope you don’t think I’m beating up on Blackpool (just that ad agency). It’s about 45 years since I’ve been there, and sadly didn’t get to go up the tower :cry: I think Las Vegas is an awful place, I hadn’t been since before all the theme hotels were built, but had to go to a meeting there last year. It is amazing, you fly over desert full of nothing, then suddenly there’s all these houses, lakes, and green stuff, and then you land at the airport flying low past a pyramid, a 1200 foot tower, and all kinds of other tacky stuff. Just bizarre 8O

I hope you don't think I'm beating up on Blackpool (just that ad agency).

I don’t mind. I just live here. I’m not trying to market it to anyone. TBH the roads and shops would be much nicer if there weren’t as many grockles (a local name for tourists).

This morning I heard the local radio station say ‘Blackpool - The entertainment capital of Europe’, so maybe the Vegas thing is true. It doesn’t say much for the rest of Europe though :ffxi5:

then suddenly there's all these houses, lakes, and green stuff,
Thats is one thing about Las Vegas. For a place without much water, they sure know how to waste it :P
It reminds me about the new building our research people built. It had a glass walkway across the building atrium at (I think) the fourth floor level. It took them some time to work out why some men wanted desks near it, some women (those who realised they were wearing skirts) wouldn't cross it and a lot of scared people came down to the ground floor to cross to the other side!
That may get a few grockles to come and visit. :oops:

My thoughts on water wasting mindset:
In the East water is wasted when water is not conserved.
In the West water is wasted when water is not used. :?

Hi All
I would like to say that I have lived in Las Vegas for 6 years and it is great. We live in the high Mohove Desert and get only 4.0 inches of rain a year. All water comes from well or colorado river. We recycle all waste water and grey water and sell it to golf courses, all car washes also recycle water. We have three bad months June, July, Augest, 120+ degrees and humidity of 5%, and 300 day of sun a year. They will pay you to remove grass 1 dollar per square foot and replace with desert landscaping. Strip hotels use water for tourist attraction (trap). More tourist keep my real estate tax low (1%). No state income tax. unemployment at 4.6%. 1.5 million people call it home. It is a great place to live. Thanks Joe :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
P.S Had to put my two cents in.

My thoughts on water wasting mindset: In the East water is wasted when water is not conserved. In the West water is wasted when water is not used. :?
Yup, no sense wasting all that Colorado River water by letting any of it reach the ocean :D

If you like to read check out Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner for the scoop on water in the West.

Yup, no sense wasting all that Colorado River water by letting any of it reach the ocean :D If you like to read check out Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner for the scoop on water in the West.

Land subsidence is also a bit of a problem… I will have to take a look at that book too. :smiley:

If you like to read check out Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner for the scoop on water in the West.
I did. One day we will all have to pay for what we are doing to the water supply.
Land subsidence is also a bit of a problem................ I will have to take a look at that book too. :D
Great picture! They are chasing the water table to China out there in San Joaquin and Imperial :cry:

Interesting item about Lake Mead, source of most of LV’s water. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/LakeMead/