VirtualVP & WeatherLink IP - writing download.txt

Hi folks,

Yea, I’m not really excited about the prospect of purchasing a second data logger as the IP version was quite pricey enough. For me, the comm issues are more an annoyance, as once I get all the weather station programs up and running (sometimes takes multiple tries due to the comm errors), generally it all works fine with just an occasional snafu.

I’ve tried both the com0com and the N8VBvCom virtual com port drivers with the same results. I’ve tried the same setup on a fairly new, high end Vista machine, and also on an older Windows XP machine. Same results. I’ve accessed the IP data logger setup screen directly and disabled the feature of sending one minute data to the WeatherLink Network site, then disabled VirtualVP’s one minute disconnect feature. No change.

Still think the problems might be related to slow communication with the logger itself through the TCP/IP interface, because when I directly access the data logger using a web browser, the logger setup screen loads slooooowwwly. If a couple of weather programs are simultaneously waiting for a command response from the logger, I can envision the programs “timing out” and prompting an error. If that’s the case, seems that Virtual VP may need a more robust way to “feed” data to the weather programs faster.

I might try playing around with some TCP/IP settings or even some firewall settings to see if I can speed things up a bit.

-Brian