cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: VirtualVP & WeatherLink IP - writing download.txt  (Read 13179 times)

Offline Dennis48755

• Sand Point, Michigan
    • Sand Point Michigan Weather
Re: VirtualVP & WeatherLink IP - writing download.txt
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
Hello,

Just to clarify my situation.

I had NO problems with the communictaions between the IP data logger and a computer running WeatherLink. I never tried it with other software (WD, VWS, etc.). The problems I had occured only when communicating with VirtualVP.

Dennis

Offline adam5

• Castlewood Drive Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Hi Dave,

I'm with you, I also like posting the data to the Davis WeatherLink site in parallel to the other stuff. Fortunately in my case, I have both a VP2 console and a Weather Envoy, and will eventually end up using both loggers...with the serial logger taking care of all the PC comm stuff.

When I use the WeatherLink software alone and connected directly to the IP datalogger (no VVP), communications are slower as compared to the serial logger, but error free. It's only when I add the additional layers of software (Virtual VP and multiple weather programs) that it appears to be to much for the IP datalogger to handle, which in turn causes program timeout/comm errors. As such, I'm not even sure this would fit into the realm of a warranty return, since the IP data logger does work as it was designed and advertised to do.

Nonetheless, I should probably report this to Davis. But again, since I'm trying to use the logger in a way not designed by Davis (VVP and multiple programs simultaneously), I doubt they will do much. These days their support side seems to be having a hard enough time keeping up with the stuff they need to be doing.
-Brian

Offline stevendt

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the update - it's almost a shame that it DOES seem to work with just WeatherLink connected !

As you say, Davis may not be too interested, but I think that it is probably still worth asking them ?

It seems like quite a few of us don't want to be restricted just to WeatherLink and it would seem to be easy enough to provide some flexibility.

I guess part of the problem might be the priority that WeatherLinkIP gives to updating the internet site, maybe if there was the ability to set a variable update rate rather than every minute, it would give other stuff time to get a look in. Maybe that's something that Davis could easily enough do at the next firmware update (if there is one).

regards
Dave

Offline adam5

• Castlewood Drive Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »
Agreed, I should bring this to the attention of Davis. Perhaps they are unaware of any comm problems.

As far as WLIP giving priority to uploading to the internet site. One thing I did try was to completely turn off the website upload feature of the data logger (using it's html configuration screen). This made no discernable difference as I still had comm errors. So, I don't know what the deal is. Again, could be a design issue with the logger, could be with certain routers holding things up, or with Windows TCP/IP layer itself. Wish I knew where to start looking.     
-Brian