1-wire Lightning Detector

hi all,
I will be getting a 1-wire lightning detector and solar sensor for christmass :slight_smile: ;). Im ok with setting up the solar sensor…i think. I was wondering if any of you with this lightning detector could give me any tips on siting, aerial/antenna for best range and accuracy, earthing and maybe you could post some pics please so can get an idea.

Im thinking about putting it in the attic at the moment and then later to move it outside away from the house with the other sensors so it does not pick up any interference.

Thanks
Liam :smiley:

Just my experience with the 1-wire lightning detector is this… it is too sensitive. It is always showing strikes. There is no way to set the sensitivity so anything sets it off. I’ve had 16 strikes in the last 12 hours and it’s 12.5 degrees with clear skies. No lightning anywhere in the 5 state area. I’ve tried many different antennas, wire, lengths, re-routed the cable, even shut off the power to the house totally and still it gets strikes.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott, yes i was aware of this type of interference and could be a pain. But i guess its somewhere to start and i will have a play with it. Its that sensitive then?, to detecting any static discharge.

Thanks
Liam

Yes, it appears to be. It really needs a sensitivity control.

Scott

really depends on how much electrical interference in your area
not everyone suffers that badly

Mine has been working pretty good. Ive only had some false strikes when I first set it up. I have it about 20 feet up on my house and my generator is on the ground below it and it never picks it up when the power goes out. My antenna is at 24".

Mine seems okay here too.

Thanks guys, is yours grounded properly Scott. Well i will see how much electrical interference i get, should be fun. Thinking about changing the antenna to something different.

Any tips on antennas are welcome to give me an idea of what is best. Pics also welcome :).

Look forward to getting it, bet i wot get a storm for ages now im getting a detector. 8O

Liam

Mine is grounded to a separate 6’ copper grounding rod pounded into the ground.

Scott

Luck would have you get a storm before you get the Lightning Detector in the post!! LOL

Oh, you really must have quite abit of interference in your area then. LOL TokKiwi, probably. Well im just gonna whack it somewhere for now and have a play, got to daisy chaing it with my solar sensor aswell. cant wait to get rid of using metar and use my own sky conditions.

Liam

Some HB lightning detectors are less sensitive than others so you may find it works ok :slight_smile: Good luck!