Catching up after wd has not been running

How do you make wd catch up on data that has not been transfered due to your pc being off or crashing? When my wd starts, it skips through various dates and times, but you still have chunks of graphs and data missing. I thought it might be an issue with my Weather Envoy, but I have switched to a Vantage Pro, but still cannot catch up. :?:
Any ideas from people using Vantage Pro’s with WD would be very welcome, as I don’t want my graphs having missing data if I can help it.

Thanks all.

check that the time/date on the console is correct (i.e like for daylight saving time)
and also check under view, program error log, for any problem their

the access violation you report in the other thread might not help either

I (and others) have spent a lot of time working with Brian on the VP archive download, and it’s working pretty well now (don’t forget my solar Brian :wink: ).

It would help if you could be a bit more specific. How long was WD off? How much data are you missing?

My computer crashed overnight, and looking at the log file there is a gap in my data from 3:18 until when I restarted at 7:39. I don’t turn off the computer except for when AV or Widows updates prompt me to do so, and the only time WD is not running is on these occasions, and when I upgrade to the latest version of WD, which usually results in just a couple of minutes data loss. I can only guess I have not ticked or unchecked a box somewhere, but I am blowed if I can find where!!
Is there a way of manually adding data after a shut off? Other than entering it into the log file longhand?
Please don’t take this as a criticism, it is far from it. I am sure it is something wrong my end.

you could enter data…yes…and then do a covert log files to graph files,.,.,…seee under action

but, have you checked the time on the davis console, and checked for any errors under view, program error log?
also check your regional settings, are it seems european settings cuase a problem
is.e use : for the time separator and / for the date separator
but i do force the correct way in the program (and then set it back) but even that does not seem to work (there is a thread by iceman where it is not working, the data extract, at start up)
re solar: i have made a few tweaks there that might help

I have checked the regional settings, and have xx:xx:xxxx for the time and dd/mm/yyyy for the date. I started using wd in December 2003, and have always had this problem with the missing data, but have not worried about it too much, as WD is always running, and a couple of minutes loss is not a problem for me. I have only mentioned it now as I have put it onto a dedicated superfast computer, and thought I would try to get it right this time. I have checked the original PC it was installed on, and the error file is still totally empty!

With the access violation, I have done what you suggested in the other thread, but still got the error. ( I don’t use the webcam or speech facilities in WD)

Thanks,

When it’s working normally you should only see a few minutes total loss. You will always lose the minutes during the download since the datalogger can’t collect fresh data while it’s downloading old data, and maybe a few records at the beginning of the downtime.

I have just looked at Icemans thread. I have absolutely no issues with the data being incorrect with any of the sensors. Everything from wd ties up exactly wth my weatherlink system. I thought theremay be an issue with using a Vantage Pro with data logger (weatherlink software) on one com port and a Weather Envoy with data logger (weather display software) on the second com port, but have unplugged the Vantage Pro and just run the Envoy and had the same results. Perhaps this may be a European problem??

What nikoshepherd is saying is what I would expect to happen with a 1 minute logging interval, but as an experiment I set the interval to 5 minutes, switched wd off for 10 minutes didn’t recover the data from the 10 minutes downtime.

I have checked and unchecked the box to clear data from the data logger as well, with no difference to the end result.

Thanks,

Just a real basic thought, but have you tried using weatherlink to download the archive to verify that the data you are expecting to download does actually exist? Swap it to the other com port to try this, I don’t have good experience with switching WD and WL on the same com. Set up a new station in WL so that it dumps the whole archive.

I had the same thoughts after my crash this morning. I thought it can’t be someting that simple, so I tried it… and it wasn’t! All the data from the time my pc crashed was there, and all downloaded into a new weatherlink station fine. Thats why I changed to a second Vantage Pro to see if that would make any difference, but it doesn’t.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I am using a Davis WMII and have noticed that when my PC crashes WD does not retrieve the missed data from the datalogger when I restart the PC and WD. I had thought that WD would retrieve the missing data from the datalogger since it contains about 30 days worth of data, but as near as I can tell WD only uses data it receives while running and communicating with the WMII.

Dan

when wd does the download, it goes to a temporary file, called vpextractlog.txt

email me that file, if it exists

the davis wmii is a separate issue
you should start a separate thread on that, instead clouding up this one
but becuase we are shifting house, i am not sure how much time i will have to work on it
and i dont have a davis wmii either…
but if you work with me,we should get it fixed

from what i know,

it goes through all the motions, you can see what it does, under view, program error log
email me that…

again, have you checked the date and time are correct on the console?

Well, I have the same problem with my VP since December or January, and I mentoned that a couple of weeks ago.

When I restart WD, no data gets extracted from the logger.

Brian, I do not have the file you said, but I have two empty files called vptemplog.txt and vpdownloaddate.txt if that helps.

Maybe my problem is a european problem too?

Peter

please check (but no one gets back to me on this)
that the time/date on the console is correct
and if there are any errors under view, program error log

and try setting, in your regional settings, time separator as : and date separator as /

In common with peter, I have no vpextractlog.txt or vpdownloaddate.txt, but I do have a vptemplog.txt file that is empty. I have changed the time to am/pm instead of 24 hour, which made no difference in the past. All daylight saving details as well as the time/date on the console are ok. Time and date settings are as per your suggestions.
What date format do the bulk of WD/Vantage Pro users use? dd/mm/yyyy like we do in the UK, or mm/dd/yyyy? Could this be an issue?
Could this also cause a problem with my soil/leaf station which I can’t seem to get to work properly?
If any one has any suggestions or needs files etc to help, drop me a line and I will send them on.

Thanks.

hummm
i will do some testing when i get a chance on this
but, when the vp data extract box comes up, do you see the times/date changing as the data arrives from the data logger, and does the progress bar move along?

Brian,

I see date and time from which the extraction should start.

But nothing changes, no date no time, it stays there for some seconds.

The progress bar doesn

I have changed the time to am/pm instead of 24 hour, which made no difference in the past. What date format do the bulk of WD/Vantage Pro users use? dd/mm/yyyy like we do in the UK, or mm/dd/yyyy?
Both my VP stations are mm/dd/yyyy, one is am/pm, one is 24 hour, one uses an Envoy, one downloads from the console, both download OK.

So you are not european user?

Peter