Connection Issues

Weather Link and Virtual VP do not want to play well together.

Weather Link alone runs fine on virtual Com3 (Silicon Labs CP210x…)
VVP, when launched, grabs Com3 away from WL. Rendering WL inoperative.
VP Live will work okay on Virtual Console TCP/IP 127.0.0.1:5511

N8VBvCOM is installed and configured for: 5-15 through 9-19

WL will not see the console on any port other than Com3, wheter or not VVP is running.

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, on the computer that this one replaced, set up was a breeze and everything worked flawlessly.

Thank you for the help,
-= Mark =-

VirtualVP has to be set to COM3 since that is the one the console data logger is on (if I understand correctly). WeatherLink will need to be configured to use COM6, COM7, COM8, or COM9 (if you have the default configuration values for N8VBvCOM, that get set when it’s installed).

If you configure VPLive to use one of those COM ports (6-9), can it talk to VirtualVP? If not, then the N8VBvCOM driver isn’t working. If you are using a 64 bit version of windows, you’ll need to use the com0com driver instead, since the N8VBvCOM driver doesn’t work well on 64 bits. If you have a 32 bit version of windows, then try uninstalling and then re-installing the N8VBvCOM driver, and see if that fixes things.

Steve
SoftWx

Virtual VP is configured to use COM3. However, Weather Link will not see the data logger on any port as long as Virtual VP is running.

If you configure VPLive to use one of those COM ports (6-9), can it talk to VirtualVP?

VP Live can talk to the data logger on TCP/IP 127.0.0.1:5551 but, Weather Link is excluded on COM3.

If not, then the N8VBvCOM driver isn't working. If you are using a 64 bit version of windows, you'll need to use the com0com driver instead, since the N8VBvCOM driver doesn't work well on 64 bits. If you have a 32 bit version of windows, then try uninstalling and then re-installing the N8VBvCOM driver, and see if that fixes things.

Steve
SoftWx

I am using 32 bit WinXP Pro; and have uninstalled/re-installed the N8VBvCOM driver, with the same negative results.

-= Mark =-

But can you connect VPLive to VirtualVP with a COM port (not TCP/IP). That will tell me whether or not the problem is the virtual serial port driver or not.

Steve

Some how, I got all the parts to play nice… for a day.

VVP has the console on COM3, VPL on COM17, and WeatherLink on COM18. WeatherLink set to COM8.

All was working well until I noticed that WL was not sending data to my Web page. So I looked at the log and it is hanging on the GetStationTime command (“Error reading data from the Station.”). Shutting down VVP and setting WL to COM3 resolves the problem.

Changing WL’s ports in VPP does not help. Neither does refreshing the drivers for N8VBvCOM, nor uninstalling/re-installing VVP.

What now, oh Sage of Weatherdom?

-= Mark =-

I have noticed a problem with WL 5.9.0, the newest update from Davis. If 5.9.0 is used it connects the first time, but if VP crashes (happens a lot when WXSIM is updating) then 5.9.0 complains about a com port issue and cannot continue. WL 5.8.3 does not have this problem. I suspect something in the 5.9.0 update is the issue.

I am using WL 5.9.1 beta