Virtual VP: read from USB datalogger

I want to use Virtual VP as an intermediary between my Davis datalogger (USB) and my weatherprograms.

Virtual VP requires to receive data from the datalogger through a virtual COM-port.

How can I make the USB-port deliver data to a virtual COM-port?

That is all done for you. Just follow the installation instructions and you should be good.

• Jim

make sure to not have the usb data logger set to USBExpress mode

To Jim

Where can I find the information in which installation instructions?

All of the documentation is available on the download page of Steve’s site http://softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html.

• Jim

I have read the linked document and the Quick Start Guide to a level close to mightmare.

I have installed Virtual VP (now 1.2.3)
I have installed the N8VB drivers
I have an VP USB datalogger (Envoy)
I use XP sp3

WeatherLink can get data from the datalogger on COM1
Virtual Weather Station can get data from the datalogger on COM1

When I run VVP with COM3 I get the reply: Specified comport does not exist

When I run VVP with COM1 I get:

1. the “Reading archive data”-window opens for a few seconds with the subtext “Determine current archive position” and a blue bar 4-5 mm long.

2. After some 15-20 seconds the program stops. The log contains a few occurrences of the 2 warnings:
    VpConsole No response after several retries for Wake Up Console and
    VpConsole No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data

3. According to the “VP Console Connection” a few commands and bytes are sent to VP, but none received.

Where can I find the toggle for USBExpress?

On a forum I have seen reference to a Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge. Does it have any relevance to the connection to the datalogger?

What can I do to open the communication to the datalogger?

what shows in weather link for the type of connection to the data logger?

what shows in device manager?
do you have a Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge driver with an allocated com port number?
sounds like you do, and that is set to com 1?

My WeatherLink (5.8.1) is set up with Communications Port = USB

My Device Manager shows LPT1 and COM1

As for CP210x: My WeatherLink folder has a file named “CP210xManufacturing.dll”. I cannot see any other references to the driver. There is no trace of it in the Device Manager

In another topic http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/40350 I have seen indications that the USBExpress may be the real problem. Where can I find the setting of it?

My WeatherLink (5.8.1) is set up with Communications Port = USB

that means, to my knowledge, that you have set the data logger to USBexpress mode

you will need to set to serial mode in weather link and then run the convertor program
see the FAQ on how to do that

and then you should get a com port allocated to the usb to serial driver