cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Help with an anemometer placement?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline 90_X_Ray

Help with an anemometer placement?
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »
I am new to the site I started out with just an outdoor/indoor temp. I enjoyed that very much so I started with a novice weather station. I bought a basic weather station  (La Crosse model WS-1611twc-IT) picked it up at B.J.ís for $20.00 clearance it was originally selling for $80.00. I am trying to set up the anemometer and having problems as to where to set it up. I had planned on setting it up attached to my chimney, where it will extend maybe 2 feet past the chimney. I looked at past post and read that lighting may be a concern. The user guide is not that much help, as is customer their customer support.  I have several trees in my backyard so I am not sure if its wise to set it near them. Is there a set distance where trees become an obstacle? Is there detailed information where I can learn about this subject? Thank you for the help.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: Help with an anemometer placement?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »
Where are you located? That will have a big impact on your lightning risk. How tall are the trees relative to the chimney?

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
  • Mech Engineer and Hobbyist
  • Tokoroa, Sth Waikato, New Zealand
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »
If your prevailing wind is partially blocked by a tree or trees or hedge, you are best just to get as much height as possible. Ie 10ft above the roofline would be a guideline.  Yes I would add an earthing strap to it and hardwire to an earth stake.  The La Crosse weather stations (mine is a WS2310 series), do tend to have a cable quality issue leading to false wind spikes and this can be eliminated with using CAT5 network cable instead of the cheap Telephone flat two pair CAT3 cable.  There is a thread and links for photo instructions on replacing the cables.  This weather hobby can be a bug... :)
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline hydrowx

• Bill
  • Northeast Illinois USA
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:43:15 AM »
There is a CWOP guide on instrumentation siting that you may find useful here as well.
Bill

Davis VP2+

cumulus