"Companion program wxsimate not found" error

Hi
I had an older version of WXSIM on trial for a while and was hoping to get the full version soon. I deleted the older version and downloaded the latest wxsimdem file. When i try to run it wxsim opens ok, then I click on the “Import” then “start wxsimate”. WXSIMATE opens but I also get a box which opens saying “Optional program wxsimate not found”.
As wxsimate isin fact open I then click on “Download files” and it goes through the download routine. Once that is done and the “auto cull” starts I get an error message "could not find file “C:\wxsim\metar.lst” with the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file “C:\wxsim\metar.lst”.
File name: “C:\wxsim\metar.lst”
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode)
at wxsimate.Form1.readcty()
at wxsimate.Form1.downloader()
at wxsimate.Form1.downld_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2443
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll

wxsimate
Assembly Version: 1.0.3542.22852
Win32 Version: 1.0.3542.22852
CodeBase: file:///C:/wxsim/wxsimate.exe

System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

System
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2443
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 7.10.6001.4
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll

System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

If I then click “close” wxsimate closes I go to Import data and select the “wdata.txt” file but when I click "get data I get another error “runtime error 62 Input past end of file” I click on OK and the whole lot closes down.

I am hoping to get Wxsim for my birthday in a few weeks (if I can persuede the wife!!) but would like to see it working in the test version first. I am a complete novice at this stuff so have probably done something stupid, so any help gratefully recieved.

Phil

Hi Phil,

A couple of questions:

(1) Did WXSIMATE open OK before you upgraded?

(2) Did you install into the default directory (c:\wxsim)?

Tom

Tom
yes to both.
I did try installing it to D drive but removed it from there as everything ekse “weather” is on C
Phil

Tom
Sorry but I forgot to mention when I click on “Download Files” I also get the following message

None of the first three METAR sources are available at the moment. One of the ways this can occur is if the computer is on "daylight saving time" but the "daylight saving time" box is not checked
I have tried runs with the box ticked and unticked with the same result. Phil

Tom
Ok heres the latest update, I think its a problem getting the METARS.
I removed all signs of WXSIM from my computer then restarted the computer. Next I downloaded the latest dem again, that got rid of the “can’t find wxsimate” box. I tried a run but got the same errors as above, so I tried again but this time with the METAR box unticked all went well including “cull” and “apend” because there was no METAR I used GFS for regional data. All went well and I got the forcast for atlanta.
So it would appear I can’t get the METAR data for some reason. I will try a run for the other trial site and see what happens.
Phil

Tried a run using the Autralian site but again can’t get METAR so couldn’t do the run.

Hi Phil,

There are 4 or 5 METAR sources you can try in WXSIMATE. Just scroll in the box to a different one and then actively click on it to select it. Which site have you been using?

Tom

Hi Tom
I tried all four METAR sources and only the last one the NOAA one worked, but it did work. So that seems to have solved that. I tried to import my local data but got an error " cannot find c:\wdisplay\dbase.csv" should that file be created automatically by WD or do I need to create it?
Phil