SFTP?

I’d like to use SFTP. I’ve read a previous thread about how to do it. However, just checking the SFTP box kills my ftp altogether.

Anything else to check?

Did you change your Port to use Port 22?

Also does your host provide SFTP support?

-Bob

Hi Bob,

No, I didn’t change the port to 22. Didn’t know I had to. And yes, the host supports SFTP.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol

-Bob

Thanks for the link, Bob.

I changed the ftp port to 22 and checked the SFTP box. Clicked OK. Updated web files. FTP fails. Restarted WD. FTP still fails.
Changed the ftp port back to 21 and unclicked the SFTP box. FTP works fine.

I dunno!

Check your FTP log after trying to use SFTP… See if any clues are there.

-Bob

Many web hosts use non-standard ports for SFTP connections. Many times this is to allow the use of SFTP for data connections without interfering with regular SSH logins for account access.

Check with your provider to see how they are implementing SFTP. It may not be using port 22.

Here’s the log file when port 22 and SFTP are used. Makes no difference if passive FTP is checked or not, the log is the same.

actual messages from upload session*
Start Time/date:6:23:58 PM 11/17/2009
Permanent connection selected
Setting to use SFTP mode
Permanent connection, will do ftp now
Internet sharing…
Finshed email agenda
Finshed email agenda, and more Internet agenda items to do (FTP)…
Time/date:6:24:00 PM 11/17/2009
Logging onto FTP server…205.178.145.65
ERROR: Class not registered, ClassID: {79731811-6B9A-4DF0-92CF-991C37D2BCED} at
time/date 6:24:00 PM 11/17/2009 agenda item:
Doing abort procedure/program close…
list of files uploaded*

FTPUPD.EXE finished at 6:19:16 PM 11/17/2009
Time taken = 0.02 minutes
Total bytes uploaded = 0 K

My host uses port 22 for SFTP. They said I need to prefix the host address with sftp:// when using SFTP. I’m not sure where to implement that in WD.

I would try replacing ftp.wulik.com with either sftp://ftp.wulik.com or sftp://wulik.com in the Connections FTP Host Server box from your Control panel - FTP & Connections…

Seems weird to me though…

-Bob

It is doubtful that WD cares about URL descriptors. If you have told WD to use SFTP then it knows it is an SFTP connection.

URL descriptors are used by things like browsers so they know what protocol to use like:

file://somefilename
ftp://hostname:/directory/filename
http://normalweb
https://sslweb connection

etc…

A quick test to see if there is perhaps something blocking your workstation is to use cmd to do a simple telnet connection to the hostname using the hostname they have provided (without the URL descriptor).

> telnet hostname 22 Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx... Connected to thehostname. Escape character is '^]'. SSH-2.0-Sun_SSH_1.1.2

The above would be a connection to a normal SSH port. Some SFTP servers will give out more info and it might be garbled but that would be okay. A winbox may clear the screen and only show the connector value.

If you get nothing, or connection refused, you have a firewall or software block taking place.

Telnet isn’t installed by default on all versions of windows.

I tried a telnet to the IP address using port 22 and it works fine. I get back the SSH info. So, I’m concluding that my firewall is set correctly.

Good test idea, thanks.

Sorry, Can’t think of anything else…

The only thing that I could think of would be to see if you could connect to a different host, but that won’t really solve your issue.

Been working out a new server config for FTP/SFTP/FTPS combo with separate SSH port configuration over the weekend as I get ready for a new server refresh to rollout. Lots of new stuff and lots of pieces and parts.

Interesting - I get the same “class not registered…” message with same GUID. Any thoughts? It does look like I get some of my SSH through but some fail with the class error. I have been trying to analyze with Wireshark – but haven’t got a bead on it yet.

-Gary

I’m having the same issue, and I got the same “Class not registered, ClassID: #” See below…

Here is background with my issue, I had a Pentium II desktop with older WD version 10.31, running with SFTP provided by Brian running since late 2005. I have to upgrade the computer so I have followed WD FAQs on how to move WD to a new PC. At the end of transfer, I did download the latest WD 10.37 and updated. I even went back into control panel and make sure ftp port is 22 and put a check mark on SFTP.

So far WD is talking to my weather station and pulling data, and updating the webpage on local drive, but no sftp to uploaded to my web server.

I’ll check back often here and see what the common problem and resolution is.

Thanks…

list of files uploaded*

actual messages from upload session*
Start Time/date:12:22:25 PM 11/19/2009
Permanent connection selected
Setting to use SFTP mode
Permanent connection, will do ftp now
Finshed email agenda
Finshed email agenda, and more Internet agenda items to do (FTP)…
Time/date:12:22:26 PM 11/19/2009
Logging onto FTP server…fas.harvard.edu
ERROR: Class not registered, ClassID: {79731811-6B9A-4DF0-92CF-991C37D2BCED} at
time/date 12:22:26 PM 11/19/2009 agenda item:
Doing abort procedure/program close…

HUSC:

Do you still have the old PC or files available? If so you could try renaming ftpupd.exe in the current install so you don’t overwrite it, and then copy the old ftpupd.exe into the current install and see if that works.

If not you can restore the current one, but I think it’s worth a try.

Niko: Yes, I still have a copy of the old ftpupd.exe and put it in place of the current one. And it WORKS :smiley: :smiley: :D…

Just to back up the sequences of events here for a minute here… After I have backup registries, copy them to the new computer, restore the .ini and .reg files, and try running the WD before download the new version. That would have been with the old ftpupd.exe but I got a windows crash error. So I went ahead and download the latest version of WD and updated. Despite the port 22 and selection of sftp, the newer ftpupd.exe would not work and got that “Class not registered” error. So per your suggestion, copied the old ftpupd.exe from the old computer and put it in c:\wdisplay directory and works like a charm… I did copied and save the new version just in case I needed in the future of course… I’m mentioning all these just in case someone tried to solve this mystery. Here is properties of the ftpupd.exe that worked for me.

There was a change to a new FTP component a while ago. It’s possible the current one needs different settings but the author is away for a few days so this will keep you going until he can look at the problem.

I tried the same fix, copying an older version of ftpudp.exe into \wdisplay, setting the port to 22 and selecting SFTP.

I connected but then got disconnected.

So, this workaround isn’t working for me.