Νew La-crosse ws 2800 - ws 2810

Hi all
Today i saw a new weather station La-crosse model ws 2800 at Europe

http://www.lacrossetechnology.fr/en/P-2442-228--0-D1--ws2800-our-products-professionnal-weather-stations.html

And ws 2810 for USA

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2810/index.php

It have usb stick for pc connectior, all it is wireless ,and the anemometer it have sollar panel for energy

I really like the looks of the console.

Οne question to Brian
La-crosse ws 2800-ws2810 it work this time with weather display ?
I do not know if the protocole it the same like other La-crosse weather station

Thanks

Hello, I’m new here and a new user of the Lacrosse WS-2810 station.

I just got the station last week for my birthday. Seems to work well so far, just need some more light to get the solar wind module linked.
Anyway, I’m wondering if anyone knows of some software that will work on Ubuntu Linux? I’ve seen the Weather Display software that looks good, but doesn’t mention the 2810 station. This uses the USB input also.

I could run it in Windows ok, but I’d really be happy if I found some software that would work in Linux with this station.

I’m currently running Wxtoimg on my machine for processing and uploading NOAA satellite images. See here - http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/wxtoimg
If there was some weather station software that would work on this, that would be very cool to have an all-in-one Linux computer to do all this.

Thanks

Tom

Did it come with Heavy Weather? If so then there is a good chance it would work with WD, one of the existing La Crosse setups like the 2510 I would think?

-Bob

Yeah, I did come with Heavy Weather 2800 for Windows. But would like something that runs in Linux. The USB wireless connection is the part that I’m most curious about. I did plug it into a computer running Ubuntu 9.10, but not much seemed to happen.

I would just install WD, it will function for 30 days without registration, and see what happens. I would try setting it to use the WS2510 setup…

-Bob

Yep. I was looking a bit deeper on that web page. The Linux version might work, I’ll just have to play with that a bit to get the software running and see if that will detect the USB dongle thing.
:slight_smile:

for windows, try running heavy weather and then get WD to use the currdat.lst file updated by heavy weather

for linux, only option is if the open3600 program works with it

Thanks for the tips! I’ll try that and see what happens. Great forum, lots of quick advice. Thanks again!
Tom

I also wonder how to read data from new 2800/2810 weather stations without using the sw that comes along with this on cd. My 2800 will arrive in a week or two, so I don’t have hands-on experience so far.

Personally I doubt that ws3600 code will do the job as this is mainly based on communication on rs232 status lines, which will not make sense when having an USB dongle to make the connection with. As most manufacturers (hideki, oregon) switched to a USB HID like communication with their newer stations, I guess LaCrosse will also do that.

What makes this station a challenge for independent weather programs is, that you have to initiate a sync protocol to establish a connection between usb dongle and weather station before reading data from it. I fear it will take some time to get an understanding of that.

So please don’t be too disappointed when it will take some time for WD, Meteohub and others until 2800 will be directly supported. Any hints how to speed that up are highly welcome :wink:

I just got my 2810 last week for my birthday. Finally got it all working last night. I had some problems with the solar wind sensor and finally took it off the roof and shined a light on it in the house for a while and reset everything. The system finally saw it, and it’s working well now. Pretty cool little system!

Anyway, I was playing with the Linux WD software last night and didn’t get anywhere with it yet. Still trying to figure it all out, so I have bit more tinkering to do and probably have to play with that configuration file also. I’m not even sure if the USB dongle was seen by the computer yet. I didn’t find a /dev/ttyUSB (or whatever the name was,) file on the computer.

I didn’t quite get it working on Windows yet either, but think I just needed to re-sync the main console which I didn’t try now that I think of it. I’ll be pretty happy if there is a Linux system that will work with this eventually, I’ll even consider buying the software if it all works! :smiley:

Off topic, but anyone ever play we APT satellite reception? I have this running on my Linux machine in the basement to receive, process, and upload images to the web here - http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/wxtoimg

Yeah, I’m a weather geek!
:slight_smile:
Tom

interesting, if you don’t see the dongle as /dev/ttyUSBx it is not recognized as a serial connection via USB. That is in line with my guess it might be a USB HID type of connection. Could you please make a “lsusb” to give us vendor and product id of the USB dongle?

does sound like a HID system

I wish la crosse and others would have just started with a simple data protocol that was serial (and so could be usb to serial) and stuck with that instead of coming out with a different protocl with each station…I suspect each station manufacturer is re inventing the wheel everyh time re the data protocol

Brian, you are absolutely right, and what makes it even worse I don’t think LaCrosse did ever gave any API documentation to external developers, not even under NDA.

As a result we have to do guess work, probing and still have error-prone implementations :frowning:

Btw, I never got what makes them switching to USB HID. I can’t think of a valid technical reason for that apart from “just to confuse the russians” as we were saying decades ago (I hope it is not politically incorrect today to state this :oops: ).

That’s ok, we beat them to the moon already!

Maybe HID is more reliable than the serial/usb connection (think Davis)? Seems like USB mice/KB’s never get “lost”. Maybe HID is cheaper?

cheaper is probably the reason

I have a 2810 from costco. In MS windows i used heavyweather set to 1 minute update and weather display set for 3600 w/heavy weather program and 1 minute interval. It seems to be updating WD ok.

I am not a WD expert, but if understand your message correctly that means WD is receiving data from heavyweather, not directly from the station? Or am I wrong?