*** READ THIS BEFORE YOU INSTALL WD ON SNOW LEOPARD ***-> Davis VP USB

Worked for me as well.
thanks!

Well I did exactly what was suggested but it crashes as soon as I start the prog. Freezes & then crashes. Suggestions???

new installation of Snow on a clean machine?
first thing you did was installing the usb-driver?
connected the envoy or station after that?
then installed WD?
choose the right usb driver in setup?

In this order it should work

Critically important for Davis users- If you are either upgrading to Snow Leopard, OR installing the Davis drivers from either Davis or Silabs, then installing WD Mac after, you MUST repair permissions on the hard drive BEFORE installing WD Mac. One of the 3 combinations mentioned here is breaking the permissions on the /usr/lib/ folder and not allowing us to install the correct lib files. Then after repairing disk permissions, install WD Mac and proceed to set up normally. It’s ok if you already installed WD first and then came here and read this, you can reinstall again after performing the steps above.

To repair permissions - Go to Utilities folder, open Disk Utility, select only your MacIntosh HD (the system hard disk) and click on Repair Permissions. Should take about 10 minutes and you will likely get a ton of messages in the window. (Would be nice to know which of the drivers above is responsible so wecan inform the vendor) or if it’s a Snow related breakage, it will just say repairing /usr/lib/ and at least we will know.

This should be performed before AND after any system upgrade as good system maintenance, and after installing third party drivers such as mentioned above.

All the best

Jmar

Grrr followed instructions but I can’t get anything in the USB to serial except /Dev. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

make sure the davis USB VP is connected to the Mac when installing the Silabs USB driver for the Mac

Yup it was plugged in during the install. I just can’t figure out what /dev is the weather station.

Any ideas? In windows 7 its assigned Com 3. What would it be in Mac OS?

Any ideas? In windows 7 its assigned Com 3. What would it be in Mac OS?

Yup it was plugged in during the install. I just can’t figure out what /dev is the weather station.

Hi I’m using this:
/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
(see attached picture)
Bertil

1.jpg

NBH,

Hmmm. Can you point me to the driver you used? Apparently I don’t have the correct one.

See here on this thread

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/327262
Bertil

Thanks,

Now next dumb question. How do I uninstall the old driver? I’m a Mac novice.

If it’s Davis drives you have?
As it says in the thread I linked to:

[quote]First uninstall the old drivers. The download of the old drivers from Davis has an uninstall feature. If you deleted this you may have to go back to Davis and download this again.

Remember after installing the new drivers you have to do to Control Panel > Com Ports> click on Refresh list of comports and select the URART to USB selection.

Hugh

Now that I’m an all Mac user, I have to run Weatherlink using a virtual app and it’s a PITA slow flea bitten mangy dog. Weatherlink is the only app that I can’t run on the Mac. Yes there is the Mac version but it doesn’t download and display the sunlight (radiation) sensor data. This is really a big oversight. How can you look at the weather; temperature, humidity, wind, rain etc. and not be able to see the most basic driver for the weather: sunlight. What are they thinking?
Am I missing something here?

Hi,
I use Weather Display to the main program, but some times it happens that I start up Weather Link on my Mac (running OS X 10.6.4).
and it is possible to display data from the solar sensor.
See attached image.

EDIT:
But I do not use the latest update version of WL for the Mac, and I use not the USB driver that comes with WL.

Bertil

WL_on_Mac.jpg

WD Mac does handle the solar data

I am also trying to install on a Snow Leopard and have followed the instructions on this page and other pages of this forum. I also removed the old lib files installed by the MAC intel version, which is what I installed by mistake first. But I still get tis error library not loaded: libusbdll.dylib. How do I get this file?

I have followed all of the directions to move from my PC to MAC… all of my data is moved and displaying in WD… however I can get the comm port to show up.

I have installed, repaired permissions, uninstalled, repaired permissions and did a full new install.

When I go into the comm port setting and select refresh list of comm ports I only get
tty.bluetooth-PDA
tty.Bluetooth-modem

/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART never shows up - yes I have download the package from SLAb and install.

I’m on 10.6.7 with all current updates.

any ideas why the driver is not showing up?

Also, I went into the webcam setup and can’t see my attached webcams - they are USB connected. related to the above issue???

**** EDIT *****
I noticed the file I’m downloading was updated May 17th 2011, wondering if there is an issue with the new version.

I was able to get the USB to read, but I had to go to Prolific and download the MAC dmg.

Once I got the data to read I started trying to get my web cameras to read, get the fonts on WD to increase (using a big screen), and publish to the Internet.

I could get my webcams to read, didn’t find an option for fixing the fonts so I could read them and all of my Internet settings were gone (from Windows ver). So I’m trying a different route, I’m setting up VMware on my MAC and migrating my windows image from my laptop to the VM. Whilst I really want to be 100% away from Windows, I will have to wait to run WD 100% on just my MAC.

you can import the registry settings from the windows version, there is a way