Does WD Time sync work for you?

Windows time sync doesn’t update often enough.
So, I’ve tried to use the PC Time Sync Feature in WD, but it doesn’t appear to work automatically.
It will update when I press the update now button, but not on it’s own.
Anyone else see this?
I’m trying to avoid installing yet another program.
Thanks.

I had the same problem awhile ago and Niko gave me a name of a software. I cant remember the name of it, at work right now, hopefully he’ll see this and give you the name. It works automatically and sits on your task bar.

Try AnalogX Atomic Timesync, works great!

www.analogx.com

I use Dimension 4 to sync my PC (and then manually set my VP2 to the same)…but here are a whole lot more including D4…see here

D4 is a good old but reliable time sync solution…
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Note if you are running Vista then you have to disable the built in time sync and must run D4 under Admin rights…

-Bob

I’m a D4 user too, thanks to Bob.

You can use the time sync option on the data logger setup to automatically sync the VP clock with the PC clock.

I’m using VirtVP and the process I take is a bit long-winded, but as you say there is an automatic way of doing it… :slight_smile:

So I take it that I’m not alone, WD’s time sync doesn’t work?

Ah yes, AnalogX, I’d forgotten about this site. I’ll give his Time program a try.
Thanks all.

I’ll try it, where are the WD settings?

Control panel>Offsets/Initial Rain>Time Offset/Sync Tab.
Thanks Niko.

WD should be auto running the time sync at 00:31, 06:31, 12:31, 18:31

I set the clock 5 mins off, hit the button and it worked. Shows in ftplogfull too:

Clock set done…

Note that WD’s time sync only sync’s the console time with your computer time it does not sync your computer with an Atomic Clock… Just for clarification.

-Bob

Bob, the one in the logger setup syncs the console, but there is another separate fuinction set up under offsets that will automatically set the PC time from a time service, that’s what I tested.

bit of confusion there
there is the set the Davis VP clock daily from the PC clock…
thats different to setting the PC clock via the internet at the times I posted above #-o

Brian, The computers time? or the Weather Station Console?

If the computer, it’s not working here.

JAX, I assumed it was setting the computers time because it says "sync the time at 30 minutes past every six hours over the internet?

Niko, yes it works when manually clicking the button to sync time, just not automagically. I do see in the fullftplog at 18:31 it says “clock sync”.

Ithe computer will be 16 seconds slow in 48 hrs, I can manually sync the time with WD, and clock will be correct, then 48hr later, computer is 16-18 second slow again.

Really tired here, hop[e I’m making sense.

Thanks all.

Odds are if you are running Vista the WD tine sync under Offsets will not actually set the Computer time, not sure what OS is involved here…

-Bob

, just not automagically. I do see in the fullftplog at 18:31 it says "clock sync".
then that means it has worked automaticly

As listed in my profile its XP.

To recap: After two weeks of testing this, it’s obvious that WD does not ever sync the PC time automatically…for me anyway.

Thanks anyway…

I do see in the fullftplog at 18:31 it says "clock sync".
that means it worked