Virtual VP / WeatherlinkIP IP Address

Steve,

I have VVP running quite happily with the WeatherlinkIP, Virtual Weather Station software and Weatherlink (using an emulated serial port) software and it all works well. Until that is, my router gets reset, then things invariably break. I can’t find a way to get WeatherlinkIP to have a static (local) IP Address, it gets it’s IP Address from my router using DHCP and when this changes, VVP does not know about it until the new IP Address is entered.

My question is, would it be possible for VVP to use the MAC address of WeatherlinkIP to find the WeatherLinkIP address ?

Maybe if the periodic comms could not use the MAC address, would it be possible to automatically find the IP address (from the MAC address) when VVP starts, then periodically - say once an hour, check that the IP address has not changed and update the IP address ?

regards
Dave

Why not just assign the WLIP a static IP address. Just type the current (dynamic) WLIP IP address into a browser on the same subnet and you should be able to set a new static IP address. (Suggest updating to at least v1.06 firmware if you’re not there already (v1.07 is actually available now) before doing so though.)

John,

the reason is that I’m dumb !

That’s really what I wanted to do all along, but could not find a way of doing it. I must have missed the bit in the manual which told me how to get into the config screen, I should have guessed that I would be able to browse the IP Address though.

Thanks a lot for the tip - it really helps, just off to find the Firmware Upgrade now before I make the change (mine is at 1.04),

regards
Dave

In some router firmwares you can assign a manual IP address based on a MAC address. With DD-WRT firmwares this can be done.
Browse your routers setup screens. There might be a page where this can be done if not just set a manual IP in the WeatherLink IP device itself.

Hi Michael,

thanks, but I did try that - unfortunately, my router won’t let me associate an IP with a MAC address.

However, following the tip-off from John, I have updated the WLIP firmware and modified the setup to use a fixed IP Address.

It’s easy when you know how :slight_smile:

regards
Dave