Downloaded linux files won't unpack

HELP!..

Can somebody email me the 2.2b.tar.gz and the WeatherDlinux.zipfiles? (or point me to another FTP or download site besides weather-watch.com) I have tried several times without success to download and unzip these files & I keep getting errors. I’ve tried this on both my linux box and the Windoze box and nothing is successful.

Just recently I’ve downloaded and installed several programs on the linux box with no problems, so I don’t believe there is a problem on my end.

Brian suggested that I try the user forum for some help since he says he only has a 28.8 Internet connection (Brian - you need broadband… it will change your life, guaranteed.)

Many thanks to anybody who can help!

John
[email protected]
www.koipond.org
Check out the webcam for the pond

hi john, always good to see another linux user :smiley:

I will put them up on my site, but it wont be until sometime tomorrow, due to some techincal problems I am having. :cry:

I post on the forum again the links :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris

i cant get broadband where I live unfortunatly, I have tried !
but 2 way satellite is coming to this country, but now not until june (I was told may…i dont know who to believe now)

Thanks Chris – I’ll just to know where to download from. I’ve been messing around with Linux since the .8 or .9 kernel. That was probably around (gasp) 1993. I don’t think I’m much more comfortable with it despite all those years of hacking around.

Finally the Linux box here got a much needed hardware upgrade and it’s a screamer now. I have an Asus A7n8X (or something like that) with an Athalon 2500+, 512 Mb of dual channel PC3200 ram, 10,000 rpm SCSI drives, etc, etc.

My first linux box was I think a 66 Mhz surplus box I bought from the company I worked for (AT&T) and I vividly remember compiling kernels and walking away from the box for about 8-12 hours while the compiler was running. Things have come a long way since then.

Thanks again Chris.

–John

Hi Brian,

My brother-in-law has Starband satellite at his vacation house in the Colorado mountains and I have played with it quite a bit. I found the download speeds to be about 400 Kbits or so and uplink about in the 100s. Still not bad if you are upgrading from dial up. I had to use a broom to brush off the dish everytime it snowed, though!

–John

Here are the links…
http://morrisboxen.ath.cx:10000/chris/Downloads/WeatherDlinux.zip
http://morrisboxen.ath.cx:10000/chris/Downloads/WeatherD-2-2b.tar.gz

I've been messing around with Linux since the .8 or .9 kernel. That was probably around (gasp) 1993.
lets see, my come back is............... I installed RH 5.0 when I was 13. :lol: Nope, not quite as good. :oops:
Athalon 2500+, 512 Mb of dual channel PC3200 ram
Me want :twisted:

Chris

Wow - I didn’t realize the .gz file was 15 Mb. Every time I tried to download it from the WD web site, it would stop after only about 350K. No wonder it bombed. Yours gunzipped and tar’d okay.

I don’t have time to mess with the install right now, but I hope I can get on it tonight. BTW - your link was to 2.2. I think 2.4 is the latest? Can I upgrade easily?

Brian - I think your weather-display host is having problems based on my attempts to download it from them. I could probably stick the two files on my home server as a sort of mirror if that would help. I get about 384Kb uplink speed. Let me know.

–John

Wow - I didn't realize the .gz file was 15 Mb.

BTW - your link was to 2.2. I think 2.4 is the latest? Can I upgrade easily?
–John

Yep, it is big, that is why I couldn’t email it. My email won’t allow an attached file that big, and I doubt your inbox would accept it ,unless you are part of the new 1 GB google mail. :lol:
I “have” 2.4, but it is not complete. It is like 6 mb less than 2.2 because it is missing stuff. I am not sure if I download a bad copy or what, and it appears the same from 2.2 except for the missing file.

Chris

i didnt know it was missing a file, 2.4
now, the 2 way sat i have been told will be 256 both ways (it will be a different satellite)
not finishing download:
try not running any add blockers