[Resolved] Client mode does not hold clientraw location

Hi

When using weather display in client mode and using the clientraw from a location on a network
weather display does not hold the location and defaults back to the local C drive, this happens
only when the computer reboots unexpectedly!

This is now resolved, for anyone with this issue, DO NOT use a Mapped Drive.
Make show you set the location using the path that goes through My Network Places

which version?

My apologies, V10.370 B09

so if you restart WD its remembered OK?
but if you restart the PC its not?
I would say the problem is that when the pc is restarted and wd is restarting, that drive has not yet been mapped
the solution will be to use the wdstartdelay.exe program, i.e to delay the start of wd after windows starts up

Hi

Yes that’s correct, i think you might be on to something there, I will give the
wdstartdelay program a go and let you know but i have a feeling it will be sorted…

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hi Windy

I have tried this and sadly it still loses the clientraw location over a network, it defaults back to local C drive, I have set it to 2 mins and even 5 minutes delayed start and still the same, i can see that during the delayed start the network drives come back online it takes about 20 seconds maximum for them to reconnect.

So its looking like it’s not saving the location if the computer is shutting down/restarted.
Restarting WD without rebooting the PC then all is well, PC restart, location is lost.

Restarting WD without rebooting the PC then all is well
that means its not a WD fault and that after a PC reboot that drive is not still not fully mapped when WD starts up I think you will find I am still on the right track

I find that unlikely cause as soon as WD starts i go straight to the client screen and its
automatically set to local C drive, this is telling that WD is loosing the setting when the
PC reboots, not only that 5 minutes is way long enough for the drives to be mapped, this
was one of the tests i ran before WD started, the mapped drive was fully working/accessible

but if it works OK on restart, once re set, the location
then that means there is nothing to fix in the program

the setting is stored in the wdisplay.ini file
[New webfiles location]
client raw location=

What OS?

Hi

Its XP Pro

Ive just done another test, the ini is showing client raw location=Y:\wdisplay\webfiles
Network drives are mapped and connected and working, WD is showing C:\wdisplay\webfiles
then when the computer or wd shuts down the ini reverts back to location=C:\wdisplay\webfiles
Please see the image attached.

I just set startdelay to 10 minutes and still the same issue

It cannot be the PC, the reason i think this is because as soon as i manually change the location it works straight away and that is when changing the location straight after WD starts as soon as the computer has started.

I’ve just done a search and someone else has/had this problem also but there was no resolution mentioned in the thread so i dont know they got it sorted or not?

check that location in the wdisplay.ini file after a pc reboot , and before WD starts

Hi

I did and its showing the networked drive, but i also checked the networked drive before i loaded
WD and i could access it with no problems

I did and its showing the networked drive
thats good that means that WD will be then trying to check that directory exists if it does not , then it reverts to where WD is installed

what is actually showing in that ini file entry?

Hi

at present its showing this below but only because i had to set the location

location=c:\wdisplay\webfiles
2nd clientraw location=C:\wdisplay\\
client raw location=Y:\wdisplay\webfiles\

When i restart the computer and before WD starts i check the network drives and there all working and accessible, I then load WD and it defaults to local C, it does this even though the location in the ini is set to the networked drive and it does this even though i can access the networked drives…

This is still what its saying after restarting WD

location=c:\wdisplay\webfiles
2nd clientraw location=C:\wdisplay\webfiles
client raw location=Y:\wdisplay\webfiles\

Even opening the network drives before WD loads does not achieve anything WD still defaults back to C maybe your right and WD cannot see the network drives, but, if not, why not cause there working and i can access them through remote desktop no problem and this is before ive loaded WD :frowning:

This wouldnt be too much of an issue if the computer rebooted when i was home or not in bed but sods law and all that, it happens when im not around. I think its going to have to be one of those things and make do, thanks for trying though :slight_smile:

I will add some debug code to see what is happening

why not cause there working and i can access them through remote desktop no problem
maybe its only a virtual drive, only visible via remote desktop

Hi

No definitely visible through local pc use as well, but i have done a load more tests and its looking like your correct, I added the summary.gif thats on the network drive to the startup folder on the client pc and it will not load with windows but, if i got to Windows menu/program files/start up/ and click the summary.gif from there it will load, so after that i opened WD and it loaded with the network path.

So, it looks like the problem is that the drives do not come active until you, 1). manually open something thats connected to that drive or 2). you open the drive itself from the My Computer.

But i would have though that WD trying to open the clientraw file from the mapped drive would be the same as #1 above but it looks like thats not how it works.

Again, thank you Windy

So to sum up, your correct, WD cannot access the Mapped Drive until i have opened either a linked file in that drive or open the drive from the My Computer.

Ran another test:

This time I have set the location from the My Network Places to see if that is different to using a mapped drive and it WORKED OK just testing it again to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, yep it worked again, so it looks like issue is resolved, but at least i/we now know you CANNOT used a mapped drive for that setting, it has to be through the My Network Places.

Thanks ever so much for persevering with me, i was ready to just leave it as it was, until i thought about what you just said with regards to a virtual drive, a mapped drive is similar to that is it not?