Can VPLive be used to view weather data on another PC ?

Hi

Hope someone can help me with a question please.

I have been using VirtualVP for sometime and someone suggested using VPLive aswell to see direct data from the Davis Console. I now have it working and wanting to know if I can now “connect” to this data, say from my Office PC at work, or on my laptop in the garden. I dont mean by viewing my webpages but viewing direct the VPLive data. Is this possible ? and how do I got about doing it.

many thanks

Yes, you can do this. However, there are some caveats. First, you’ll have to make an opening in your firewall or router so that traffic can flow to the VirtualVP TCP/IP port you select to use for this purpose. Anytime you make an opening like that, exposed to the internet, there is an increased risk of problems from hackers and script kiddies. Along those lines, you should also make sure that you check the box in VirtualVP that protects the console from commands recieved on that port that might change data or configuration in your console.

I have performed tests for using VPLive to remotely connect to VirtualVP, and it even worked over pretty big distances, although there is a point where the network latency makes the connection ustable. There is an option in VPLive to increase the connection timeout, and increasing this can sometimes help over slower networks. But if you make that timeout too big, the connection will not work well.

Steve
SoftWx

Many thanks for the reply. Are there any help guides on how to carry out the procedure ?

cheers