Constant crashing on Quit

I’m getting a crash every time I quit WD and would like to hone in on the problem. Where do I start?

why do you stop wd ? If you don’t mind for asking
what are the steps you take to exit wd ?

Rick

I like to restart the PC once in a while.

What operating system are you using? Have you recently installed any software upgrades? What is the error message on the screen when WD crashes (or does it leave a message)? How much memory does the computer have? what other programs are running at the time you try to shut WD down?

Those will do for a start :lol:

Windows XP with all the updates. No software updates to speak of other than for WD and operating system. No error messages at all. 1.5 gigs of memory. No other programs are running. Hope that helps. I’ve always had the occasional crash. But it’s all the time now, especially when the PC has been running for a while.

What exactly happens? Does the program just refuse to close or what?

Yes. The taskbar info remains and then the window comes up that gives me the option to End Now. Maybe “crashing” isn’t the right term to use, but WD is refusing to close.

When it refuses to close, if you do a ctrl-alt-del, does WeatherD.exe show as a process, or an application? How much memory is it using? I’ve noticed (although I’m using Windows vista home premium) that once WD’s memory climbs to around 1,500,000 K (according to the processes screen) that it will start throwing errors when I try to shut it down. This seems to be after about 7 or 8 days of continuous operation so I’ve set it to restart WD every Tuesday evening around 5 p.m. or so (control panel/FTP & Connections/Remote Control-Reboot tab). I’ve checked the restart wd instead of reboot. Haven’t had any issues since making that change, and it restarts very quickly so data loss is negligible.

If you try to shut down WD more frequently, then there likely is something else interfering - most likely antivirus or perhaps even the driver software for the serial or usb port you are using to interface.

Just tried it. It shows as a process and was taking only 55,000+ for memory. I had restarted just the other day, so there shouldn’t be a problem such as you mentioned. I do have AVG Firewall and Antivirus running. I suppose I could disable that and see what WD does?

IIRC there were some posts a long time ago about WD shutdown stalling because the data files were corrupt, so that might be something to look at.

Still having the same issue when WD is running for a day or so. I have WD installed in my Programs folder. Is there a possibility that this could be a problem with WD not shutting down? If so, how does one reinstall WD onto the root drive?

I don’t think Program Files is an issue with XP, only the later OS’s.

I have also had an issue with closing down WD for over a year, but I didn’t think it is hurting anything so I never brought it up.

I go to save and exit and wait. Eventually I get the “WD has an error and must be shut down” message and it closes. It happened on my first computer but when WD was installed on, my second it was OK for a while. Now it is also doing it on my second computer. I am not sure but I think it started after a power failure did a hard shutdown.

I’ve found the cause of WD crashing all the time, although it’s going to sound a bit strange. I did my annual “vacuuming” to clear the dust out of my tower. And that was it. And there didn’t seem to be a lot of dust in there. But nonetheless, WD hasn’t crashed since. And that was over 2 weeks ago.

Just a note for some of you users out there who have had problems with quitting WD. WD started refusing to shut down gracefully again, so I pulled the side panel and cleaned out the dust again. Sure enough, WD not shuts down with no problems. Not sure what is happening there, but cleaning did the trick. I wonder what other problems come from dust buildup. Didn’t seem to be a whole lot of dust in there.

the crash on exit seems more likely to occur the longer WD has been running when you exit it

I might have found something

see if:
before exiting, first hide WD in the system tray (so it does not show in the task bar)
then open from the system tray (double click the icon in the system tray)
so that its not in the task bar still
then exit…see if that fixes the error on exit
(seems to work here in testing)

You mean to say that you’ve been having it crash in closing, too? I’m assuming that since you said your method seems to be working.

When you say the system tray, you mean by the clock right? If so, it still crashed after running for 3 days. #-o Then I restarted the computer and WD. Let WD run for 5 minutes and then shutdown with out an issue. I will try a shutdown in about an hour and then 1 day to see if time makes a difference.

When you say the system tray, you mean by the clock right?
yes but make sure not also in the task bar at the same time