1-wire Solar Life expectancy

What is the average life expectancy of a 1-wire solar? Think mine just went out again. This is the 2nd one this year. All of the connections are good, and WD sees it, just no readings. Thanks.

As far as WD goes, isn’t the 1-wire solar the only solar sensor that will work with it besides the VP?

You could do “temp in a jar” that works pretty well after some effort to get it set up correctly.

I don’t think there’s a way to answer the first question without knowing how yours have failed. There’s nothing to wear out :dontknow:

Not sure how to setup a “temp in a jar” and what would i gain from doing that setup?

The diode is failing. when touching both leads out of the diode with a volt meter, Im getting a reading. Which means one of them is grounding out. Which shouldnt be happening.

That’s strange. Was it built or a kit?

it was built. And it also had the protective coating. Even though the coating doesnt have anything to do with the diode.

This is the 2nd one in the past 6 months. So ive spent $80 this year on 2 sensors for the same problem. Doesnt make me too happy.

Where is this mounted ?? Near anyhting that might cause thd diode to go out? Do you use any high power radio gear?? Maybe a non sheilded cable ??? Sounds awful strange that they would fail that quick especially 2 of them…

Hmmm, even stranger. Have you contacted hobby kits?

theres a picture of the enclosure on my site… http://www.snoqualmieweather.com/wxabout.php
The glass globe on top is no longer on there. Took it off the day I made it over a year ago now. No radio gear, and all the cables are cat5. Eric from hobby boards also said its odd for them to go out that quick. The enclosure I built is just like someone elses I seen on here. And that was over a year ago now. The board itself is fine, Just the diode is going out. Ive never had a drop of water in it, its 100% water tight. Not even condensation in it. So I know its not a water issue.

maybe it gets too hot?

Thats a very good possibility. Never thought of that. It has been very hot here. Any ideas on how I could change something with the enclosure?

Can you buy just the diode I loked at a few of the kits and it looked like a simple solder in job to the brd?? Might be cheaper than the whole kit?

I looked into that too. But they dont offer just the diode for sale or I’d probably buy like 100 of them…lol

Can you see any numbers on the diode??? The must be able to be had somewhere?

Heres all of the parts they offer, but no solar diode :frowning:

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

If you ask nicely they would probably send/sell you one or two since Eric has acknowledged this is an unusual situation.

Or I’m sure we can find another source if you want to try just replacing the diode.

Just for grins how did you go about testing your bad diodes?

i sent him another email asking about the temp. thing. if alot of heat from the sun can cause it to go bad. Where the diode goes on the board the number is CLD240 if that helps any. i also sent him the link to this thread.

if you take a volt meter and touch the ground lead out of the diode and touch where it connects to the board, its good. But, If you touch the other lead out of the diode and then touch the ground lead it shows a connection. Which means its grounding out. i have a old diode that is good, but cant use it cause the leads are too short and its not grounding out. So when it goes bad somewhere, its shorting out causing a ground.

Well If it was me checking a diode I always remove or unsolder one leg and lift it before I use my ohm meter the circuit itself can show the diode as bad when if removed it will be fine??