I need help straightening all this out

I currently do not have “use this metar for local sky/icon conditions” selected. I do have “but leave the icon to be updated by your stations weather” checked under Summary image on web page.

It’s currently raining and none of my images are the same:

It appears this image is still using the metar even though I have that option turned off.

I’m not sure what these are using:

Can someone help me get all this straight.

I can’t help you out, but I want to stand in line with you looking for an answer too.

Right now, my METAR graphic says “overcast”, the icon is the overcast icon, and the “curr weather” on my summary image also says “overcast”. But the description in clientraw.txt says “dry”.

I have the box checked to have the station rain/wind/fog override the metar, and it does. When it is raining, I get the appropiate icon and the clientraw.txt says “light drizzle”, “moderate rain”, etc. But it only seems to work for precipitation.

When the metar says fog, I get the fog icon. But the description in clientraw.txt is “dry”. When the “curr weather” is “mist”, the icon and decription on the summary say “mist”, but clientraw.txt says “dry”. But it isn’t. Same for “fog”, “drizzle”, etc.

So my question here is, why cant the description in the summary image, “curr weather” also appear in clientraw.txt? Then WDL will reflect what is happening. Have I missed a check box somewhere? Clientraw.txt seems to only be showing the precipitation descriptions, and not the other weather conditions taken from the metar.

rpreuss:
do you have ticked, use the current weather from a meta, in the real time ftp/svg setup (webfiles/web page setup)?

greg, its best if you send me your setings files (wdisplay.ini and wdisplayftp.reg) and the metar file and the data file latest.inf and 24hourrain.inf when this happens, so i can duplicate…and also, the icons that you have set to use as your own

rpreuss: do you have ticked, use the current weather from a meta, in the real time ftp/svg setup (webfiles/web page setup)?

Well, now I do. :? (I just ticked it on)

My question is, will the same overrides take place that take place for the summary? If my METAR says cloudy, but I am detecting rain, will I show rain? Etc.

Right now, My METAR graphic says:
"overcast

• light rain; mist
    Light mist in the vicinity"

It is displaying the MIST icon

The Summary says:
“Curr weather overcast” and is displaying the MIST icon

The main screen is displaying the “cloudy periods/mainly fine” icon.

And clientraw.txt has “—”. This is the first I have seen that, since checking the box you indicated.

FWIW - the KMMU.MET file contains:

Morristown Municipal, NJ, United States (KMMU) 40-48N 074-25W
Apr 26, 2004 - 07:45 PM EDT / 2004.04.26 2345 UTC
Wind: from the SW (230 degrees) at 9 MPH (8 KT):0
Visibility: 2 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: overcast
Weather: light rain; mist
Temperature: 59 F (15 C)
Dew Point: 57 F (14 C)
Relative Humidity: 93%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.87 in. Hg (1011 hPa)
ob: KMMU 262345Z 23008KT 2SM -RA BR BKN006 OVC030 15/14 A2987
cycle: 0

Five minutes later, the METAR is the same (MIST), but the Summary and Main screen are now displaying “Clear Night” icon. Even though I have had .02 inches of rain in the last hour, but nothing in about 50 minutes. But it sure isn’t a clear night. The METAR is still correct.

My Summary Image page is set for
20 min to check back for rain
10 min to check back for recent rain
60 minutes to check back for its stoppe raining.

I know it has been explained many times, but I am too thick. I still havent understood the relationship these numbers have between my tipping rain bucket and the text/icon displayed.

This is driving me nuts. While I have been typing, the Summary icon now says MIST but the main display now shows the coudy periods/mainly fine icon. Remember, 5 minuest ago, they were both clear night.

i will make a change that if the cloud conditions come up as —, then it will use the mist, light rain, description in the metar, for the clientraw.txt file

as for greg, when things are not gelling, email me your settings files and the metar file, andthe latest.inf and 24hourrain.ing datafiles
thanks

Thanks for quick reply. I just noticed that my "Use coded instead of decoded’ box was checked. I cleared it. That may have caused some of the confusion I was seeing.

That fix worked great… almost. The text in the clientraw.txt file is now…
“overcast
_-__light_rain;_mist”
with the “new-line” after overcast. This causes WDL to display only the “overcast” portion. But it is such an improvement over “dry”.

A note on Julian’s method of displaying the icons. I was playing with the word “dry” in the description option, and changed it to “It ain’t raining right now”. And what do you know? The rain icon appeared. So now I know how he picks the icon, from the text. But when it says “stopped raining” there is no icon. So that little swf is pretty smart. Just an interesting observation… :stuck_out_tongue:

hi
your quick, getting that new version !
note,
any spaces in the metar description, WD inserts a _ , as spaces upset a space delimeted file :slight_smile:

hi your quick, getting that new version ! note, any spaces in the metar description, WD inserts a _ , as spaces upset a space delimeted file :)

Considering we are on opposite sides of the globe, we are putting in strange hours… :sleepy3:

I know about the ““. What I was trying to show you is that in the graphic METAR, the word “overcast” was on a seperate line from the words " - light rain”. In the clientraw.text file, the word “overcast” was followed by a new line character before the "-__light_rain”. I did not look at the file in hex to see if it was a “carriage return” (Showing my age) or what. At least in notepad, it started on a new line with wordwrap off. When WDLive got to that character, it stopped and only displayed the word “overcast”. What probably should be done is just drop the “new line” char.

Now, another question. How did you ever get from dairy farming to talking about all this nonsense? What a hobbie!! :occasion5:

By the way, this change really dresses up the WDLive display. This morning, it was saying “Scattered clouds at 15000 feet”. I think I even figured out where you got that coded information from the Metar text file. Cool!

hi
yeah, i have tried to strip out CR and LF characters…but they are hard little suckers to get rid of!

how did i get started?
a paraglider approached me to get data from a wm918 on the internet. At that time there was only weatherview software!
(i had already had my own data from own home built weather station updating on the internet)

I did not look at the file in hex to see if it was a "carriage return" (Showing my age) or what.

You sure are showing your age, everyone calls them automotive returns now, welcome ot the 21th centruy. :stuck_out_tongue:

hi yeah, i have tried to strip out CR and LF characters....but they are hard little suckers to get rid of!

Brian, i hope you kept all those goto :stuck_out_tongue:

I know about the "_". What I was trying to show you is that in the graphic METAR, the word "overcast" was on a seperate line from the words " - light rain". In the clientraw.text file, the word "overcast" was followed by a new line character before the "_-__light_rain". I did not look at the file in hex to see if it was a "carriage return" (Showing my age) or what. At least in notepad, it started on a new line with wordwrap off. When WDLive got to that character, it stopped and only displayed the word "overcast". What probably should be done is just drop the "new line" char.

WDL will insert a space for each “_”. It will obey a return but the text will not then be shown as it’s only a single line text field to avoid overlapping the wind dials.

A note on Julian's method of displaying the icons. I was playing with the word "dry" in the description option, and changed it to "It ain't raining right now". And what do you know? The rain icon appeared

Sussed! :smiley:
Yes it basically looks at key words with a little logic for other words such as “not” or “stop”. I added some more icons with 1.04 but always prepared to add more if there are any conditions missing. I think I’m going to have to modify the mist icon. For some reason it suddenly seems to look like a pair of breasts to me…

Julian

What does Sussed! mean?

found out.

a new 10.10t, ready now, should be better for the icons, esepcialy for light rain
note that if you have ticked,hyour stations rain/wind overrides the metar, then if you have rain but the metar does not, then wd will show rain icons, but the metar icon will still show what the metar says.
and the reverse happens, i.e if the metar says rain, but you dont have any rain, then wd will not show a rain icon (but the metar image icon will be a rain icon)