Virtual VP on Windows 7

Hi, Ive been running VVP on winxp for a couple of years with great success.
I just move to Windows 7 on all of my home computers and can’t get VPP to download from the Vantage Pro console.

It will connect to the console and report that it is receiving packets, but it never completes the download. I’ve let it run for an hour and a half at which time it reported receiving over 1.5MB of data. Also during the download the cancel button has no effect and I’m locked out of all functions in the VPP window.

I’ve tried installing to c:\Virtualvp, and to c:\Program Files (x86)\Virtualvp. Also tried running as administrator and standard user. All with the same results.

Weatherlink connects to the console (on the same port) downloads in a few seconds and then runs with no trouble.

I am running the RTM release of Windows 7 (I’m a Technet subscriber so I got it early).

Any Windows 7 help coming in the near future?

Thanks

Jeff

maybe check the permissions, i.e that its allowed to write to the HD, or similar?

Ok, re-installed to C:\VirtualVP and set directory and file permissions to Everyone, Full Controll. The .dat file does get created here.

Still same results. Also once VVP is trying to read the console data I can’t quit the program. Have to kill it through Task Manager.

Jeff

I have installed Windows 7 RTM 32 bit.

I am running as a standard (non-admin) user.

I installed VVP into its default directory (c:\Program Files\VirtualVP). Installation does require admin privileges and through UAC I installed as a local adminisrator.

When I ran VVP the first time, I had to ‘run as administrator’ for the registration code to work. Running as a non-admin would accept the registration, but Win7 saves this under the VirtualStore and for some reason re-running VVP does not pick this up (it thinks the trial is expired and is unregistered). As noted, entering the registration info while running VVP as adminisrator fixed that problem.

Afer entering the regisration info, I ran VVP as a non-admin and have had no problems to date. When running as admin I did not try to connect to the console and only did that when running as non-admin.

I am using the N8VBCOM driver with its default mappings, and both WeatherLink and WeatherDisplay are able to connect and run with no problems.

The only difference I see is that I am running 32bit but Vegas appears to be running 64bit.

Maybe 64 bit 7 will have the same problems as 64 bit Vista described in this thread?

Niko - Vegas noted that he had a problem with VVP downloading from the console, which is before N8VBCOM. I only noted this for completeness but this possibly could be a problem with a 64-bit install.

There is also a method to disable the cross-signed driver requirement for 64-bit windows variants but that wouldn’t be recommended. This is one of the reasons I stuck with a 32-bit OS, and since my weather PC only has 2GB mem there is no benefit to a 64-bit install.

One option is to configure Windows Virtual PC with a 32-bit Windows 7 install, map the physical serial port to the virtual instance, and try VVP there. (or just try a 32-bit install to replace the 64-bit install) If it works then there may be a conflict under the 64-bit install. I did successfully run this configuration very temporarily on a PC with 8GB mem: 64-bit Windows 7 RC1 with Windows Virtual PC RC running 32 bit Windows 7 RC1. This had replaced in turn a temporary 64-bit Vista with Microsoft Virtual PC running 32 bit Windows 7 RC1 (I used the same virtual image in both cases and only replaced the host OS)

I should have also noted I am using the latest 1.2.1 version of VVP.

Yes I am running Windows 7 x64. I just upgraded the 3 pc’s that I could run this on, all have 8GB of memory so I really don’t want to go back to x32.

I do have VVP running on a virtual xp machine so this is my work around for now. Unfortunately Virtual XP is still beta and its a little flaky on the tcp ports. After serveral hours one port or another will lock up and I have to restart VVP. I dont’ think this is a problem with VVP. Hopefully when the final release of Virtual XP is out this will be fixed.

Still hoping for an update to allow VVP to run directly on Windows 7 x64.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Jeff

FYI Update:

I installed Windows 7 x32 as a virtual machine and am running VVP on that. Still had the TCP port lock ups, but only with Weatherlink.

Weatherlink and Weather Display are both running on the host that was also running the virtual machine. The port Weatherlink is on still locks up after several hours. The port for Weather Display has never locked up. I have wview running on another host and never had any port lock ups on that.

Moved Weather link to a different host and have not had any port lock ups for over 38 hours now.

I also had problems with VVPro under Win7 x32 despite installing it in XP SP3 compatibility mode. The program seemed to work, but the screen updates were nonexistent, things were running very slowly, and wouldn’t run reliably. Then I changed the compatibility parameters of the VVPro executable to run with admin. privileges also in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Voila! It now works just like it did under Win2K.

I now have my SoftWx programs (Startwatch, VVPro, VPLive) all running flawlessly in the same XP SP3 compatibility mode after running their installation programs in the same compatibility mode. Because I copied my old directories from the now dead Win2K computer, I didn’t install them on C:\ but C:\Program Files. Compatibility mode seems to solve the privilege problem.

I’m using version 1.1.4.22 on Windows 7 32 bit and didn’t need any prompting or fiddling for it too work. However I’m using a serial to usb connection.

there was a recent posting about getting the Lac Crosse open3600 programs to work under W7
and that was to give those programs full control/permissions of the com port
maybe that is what is needed?

I also cannot get Virtual VP to work under Windows 7 64-bit. When attempting to connect to the console, the Reading Archive Data window opens but does not download anything. I cannot close it by pushing the Close button; I must force it closed with the Task Manager.

I’ve tried running it as an Administrator and all of the Compatibility modes but there is no change. I can run it, without problem, in a Windows XP virtual machine but I don’t want to run the virtual machine all the time.

I am running the latest version of Virtual VP, 1.2.2. WeatherLink 5.9.0, VP Live and several other weather programs connect to the console without a problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I just got a new computer running Windows 7 64 bit and I managed to get VVP 1.0.3 connecting to the comport - but it fails to connect to the virtual comports:

Someone got it working after he gave the program full control/permission of the com port. How do I do that?

Thanks

Best regards,

Henrik

Try VirtualVP v.1.2.3 that I just released.

Steve
SoftWx

Yes! Version 1.2.3 worked for me in Win 7 64bit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!