Inacurate wind sensor on 2310, or install problem?

I’ve had my 2310 a few weeks now and yesterday high winds were predicted. Yes! I get to see some action with WD. Anyway, the past two days we had wind gusts of 50 & 60 mph. My display had a high gust of only 32. It is hard-wired so it updates every 8 seconds.

Also, it just “felt” like a harder wind. I have nothing to compare this to, except other professional weather sites in my area. Could it be my mounting? I have it mounted about 20’ in the air. It is about the same hight as an apple tree about 20’ away, and there are other large trees in the area, but none of them have leaves yet. Could it be having that much of an effect? Also, I have it mounted on PVC pipe which was moving around a bit during this high wind. Will this mess with the measurements much?

Thanks for any advice.

Have you tried a search on 2310? You may find help there.

Hi
i have tested the ws2310 to 75 knots with a air compressor, LOL, and it recrods that OK…
The proffesional stations use 10metres height, and yes there will be no obstructions for a good distance away
note that in WD for the ws2310, when you start to get close to 50 knots (55 mph or so), there is a toggle you need to set, under setup, general and misc, nearly the last item on that list…but you said the actual console didnt receive the gust…so ,yes, even at 6 second sampling, if the wind is gusty, the console will miss instaneous gusts (which can last only 1 second)

I have a WM-618 and a 2310. Until the wind speed hits 12 mph, the 2310 shows about half the speed of the wm618. Above 12 mph they are pretty close. In light winds I can go outside and look at the anemometers, and the 618 will be spinning and pointing into the wind, and the 2310 will be still and pointing in another direction. (they are mounted on a tower anout 2 feet from each other) Wind run with the 2310 shows about half what the 618 shows.
Right now the 618 shows the wind speed to be 7.8 mph, the 2310 shows 3.8 mph.

Which one should I believe?

I’d go with the 618.