1-Wire Lighting Setup

Im going to be ordering a lighting detector from hobby boards, i dont think I’ll have much trouble hooking it up. What Im looking for is Pics of other peoples setups to get an idea how they did theirs. Thanks, Mark.

I had the older type of PCB but I used a waterproof electrical junction box to house mine.

IMG_0453-01.jpg

IMG_0454-01.jpg

Ty for the pics. Gives me some good ideas. How long did you extend the antenna? i read that 24" is standard, but could use longer to get farther readings.

I just used the standard aerial cable that came with the detector, although I later moved it onto the mast with the anemometer to get more height.

Thanks for the info. Gives me a better idea now.

I would try the standard length and see how it goes first. It’s a very unselective detector and electrical interference may be a problem with a longer antenna, but if testing shows that you have a quiet electrical environment then give it a try.

I’ll definitely try what it comes with first. I live pretty much in the middle of no where. The only electrical interference I can see if any, is from my PC’s.

…and light switches. :wink:

AC contactors (if it ever gets hot there again :wink: ), your neigbor welding, electric fences, well pumps, etc.

LOL…true

My closest neighbor is about 300 yards away, Hopefully they wont interfear with it. No electric fence, and the well is about 200 yards away from the house. Now the AC could be a problem…lol…I’ll see what happens when I get it.

Sounds like a good location for it :smiley:

Pending transfer outside, mine is currently clamped to the corner of a desk in my office!
It is within 2’ of 2 computers and within 6’ of two more, not to mention printers and various other stuff. If I “wave it about” it sees masses of (false) hits, but when sat still it seems to get little in the way of false hits. So not an ideal location, but it is still “aware” when there is storm activity in the area.

Had mine in the attic first, but it was close to a transformer and so it didn’t work like it should.
Now it is outside, and is doing what I want it to do.
It is in the PVC pipe.

I ordered it, should be here this week.

Would it be ok to daisy chain it to the solar sensor? It would make install so much easier, or should it be hooked up all by itself? Thanks.

Daisy chaining it is fine, you only need a hub or power injector with the rain or baro sensors.

Thats good news. Thank you Martin.

Here is my set-up… in a water proof box daisy-chained with a solar sensor.

When I had this up in my loft, I used the supplied 24’’ wire, but when I moved it outside in this box, I used a Fiat Punto car aerial…!! Its about 20 inches.

When it was in the loft it used to get occasional interferance, mainly at fixed times when my sons vivarium flourescent light turn on by timer… :?

Since it been moved down the bottom of the garden, theres no interferance, and it works fine, detecting lightning upto 100 miles away…!

A friend of mine here in town has the HB LD and also a Boltek. His HB LD is up his anemometer mast much as Budgie has done and gets strikes from at least 200kms away when there is a passing storm. height is good, and on the 1-Wire network - they run passive and don’t need external power. It does have a small 9V battery inside for the primary circuit. HTH.

I got it all setup. Picture attached. Not the best picture, the sun didnt help. Looks like im getting a few false strikes. I’ll watch it for the next few days and see how many it picks up.

lighting.jpg

Just curious, what is everyone using for their setting in the lightning counts setup?

Scott