Spike in humity and dew point, version 10.10G

Brian,

All of a sudden, I’m getting lots of spikes in the humidity and dew point graph data. I restarted WD, no change. I reset the 1-wire data under Setup, no change. This is version 10.10G which has been working great until now.

see: http://apsn.awcable.com/weatherstation.htm

Dazed and confused as usual, :smiley:

[/img]

Looks like I can eliminate the humidity and dew point spikes by unchecking the “use the new dir routine” box under 1-Wire Setup…
I had it unchecked between about 0945 and 1045 local time. No spikes. I checked the box briefly at 1100, got a spike, unchecked it and it is unchecked at this time.

That’s what happens to people way up in Alaska.
After a while, they start talking to themselves. :cyclopsani:

:idea: If I were you, I’d leave the box unchecked.

yup, its the new direction routine…
your system looks like it does not like it, and the old wind direction is a happier routine for you setup
good finding

Now I suddenly have spikes in the dewpoint/humidity graphs, on the screen and gif’s. Discovered with 10.10c, just updated to 10.10r, no different. I have a VP not 1 wire. Putting the cursor on the graph doesn’t show any spike in the value.

I’ve had a few spikes as well. Have a look at http://www.jbest.net/weather/weatherSearch.aspx and click on 18th April. You’ll see the strange spikes in the windchill graph at the bottom of the page. Can’t see any particular reason for this, it occurs occasionally but as it’s not in the underlying data I just ignore it!

Julian

the windchill ones will happen when the windchill plotted is less than the lowest value on the graph…and then it over scales…lower the graph temperature scale adjust will fix that (in the graph setup)

nikoshepherd: not sure why you would suddenly start to get those values…
maybe see if they show up in weather link after doing a data download???

nikoshepherd: not sure why you would suddenly start to get those values.... maybe see if they show up in weather link after doing a data download???
Unfortunately the archive on that station was set to 30 mins so the data is not very helpful. I do see one record in WL with a missing humidity value - what does WD do when that happens?

I see the humidity spikes (96% to 100%) in 42004lg.txt I checked the VP console and it isn’t recording those values as max values.

I’ve reset the archive to one minute and we’ll see what happens.

yeah, weather link will put a dash for a value if it knows its not correct
so thats pointing to a hardware problem :cry: 8O

All the other values on the “no humidity” records were good. I’ll monitor it with the one minute archive and see what happens. Darn! That’s a replacement sensor board too :cry:

Do you do any sanity checking on incoming data in WD? I remember when I was in DIY mode and had noisy data I had rules for how much consecutive values were allowed to change and still be accepted as valid.

ahh, no, i dont actualy check the humidity from the davis vp for sudden jumps like that…

It’s spiking again today, so I guess it’s time to warm up the credit card and call Davis :cry:

I am not sure it is your sensor. I saw it today when the humidity dropped to around 40%. It hovered there for almost 6 hours and the entire time the dew point was going nuts. Using the realtime and moving the mouse over the spike it showed a dew point value of 3993 or something like that. Now that nightfall is here the humidity is on its way back up and the spike has completely stopped.

When it was spiking on the graph the dew point line was bottoming out below the lower limit of the graph. Not sure if this is the root of the problem or what.

Brian, do you have any ideas? Today was the first day in a while that we seen the humidity this low in Birmingham so this is the first time I have seen this problem. Running 10.10s

yeah, weather link will put a dash for a value if it knows its not correct so thats pointing to a hardware problem :cry: 8O
Davis agrees and they are sending me a replacement sensor board kit :D Another example of their great support.

oh well. just thought I would let you know I was having the same sort of problem. Only difference is I use 1wire and not seeing any errors on the 1wire network.

let us know if the replacement fixes your issue.

thanks
Chris

hi chris
try lifting the temperature line, in the graph setup
that will get the dew point up higher
i.e its over scaling, thats the problem
dont worry, those high readings are not stored anyhere…its just the graphing component,when a value goes below the graph area, it goes to a high value like that…
i.e lift the temperature line on the graph setup and all will be OK