StartWatch Virtual Console ?

When setting up VirtualVP ‘virtual consoles’ on the same computer, use the ‘127.0.0.1’ IP or the actual LAN IP given out by the router?

All my weather programs (WD, WeatherLink, VP Live) can utilize TCPIP connections. Thinking about trying the virtual consoles vice the virtual com ports. This way I could remove the N8VBvCom Driver from my computer start up here, unless VirtualVP needs the N8VBvCom Driver for its virtual consoles also.

Does Virtual VP send out a status once it has completed its initialization that StartWatch will recognize automatically and then start the rest of the programs on the Start Watch start up list? Or do I need to a port monitor in StartWatch first?

I do not know on the first question, but with start watch i actually started VVP with it then went to WL then VWS then VP live and last Cumulus.

Josh

127.0.0.1 should work for software running on the same computer as VirtualVP. I think you can even use
localhost

VirtualVP does not need N8VBvCOM, although to use virtual COM ports, it needs some virtual COM port driver (there are several others besides N8VBvCOM).

VirtualVP doens’t send a status, but it won’t accept connections until it is finished initializing. I use the port monitor method. If you have the monitor set up so the programs are started using that as a trigger, but not configure the programs to be shut down if that port monitor goes down, then you should be able to assign one of the programs to use the same port as the port monitor. The port monitor will likely fail the next time it checks the port, but since that won’t cause StartWatch to close the programs, it shouldn’t matter. The port monitor does not keep the connection open, and only does a minimal check of the port each time it does its check (VirtualVP doesn’t even show the port as having been accessed), so this should work. I am working on a new VirtualVP that will be a true TCP/IP server, accepting virtually unlimited connections on a single port.

Tried setting up all my software here last night to use TCP/IP on the same computer here, looked good at first so I turned in for the night. #-o

Woke up this am to see the WD graphs all flat lined. VP Live (via TCP/IP interface 127.0.0.1 port 5511) kept on chugging along and sending data to CWOP :slight_smile: even though WD was flat lined (with TCPIP enabled) during that time.
Note to self: do mods during the day time hours, not in the early AM hours.

That would be REALLY handy :smiley: