SOME success Extending Cables with WS2310 - HELP!

Hello,

I could use a little advice. Unfortunately, I know enough about electronics to be dangerous.

I am trying to extend the cable between my transmitter and my base. The wireless transmission is fine, but I like the 8 second transmission of the wired signal much more than 30 seconds to 2 minutes via wireless.

I successfully extended the serial cable from my base to my computer from the maximum of 6.5 feet to 40 feet by using a Cat5 network cable. Because of that success, I thought I could easily extend the distance from the transmitter to the base which is supposed to be a max of about 64’ to the 75’ or 80’ that I need. I simply made that cable out of a standard ROUND, outdoor phone cable, but it does not work.

Any suggestions? Since the unit is made to go 64’ on a flat, standard phone cable, I thought I could push that by a few feet using a round, outdoor cable, but I guess I’m wrong. Would a Cat5 network cable work for that purpose? How would I wire it? Is there a difference in the wires of the Cat5 cable (as far as which twists I use)?

Also, could I just use 2 phone cables next to each other for that long run (therefore doubling my bandwidth, using 2 red wires together, 2 green together, etc)? Or, am I just a fool for thinking that?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I just setup my 2310 today. At first I also tried the wireless and it worked fine but, I’m like you I wanted the faster update.
I went to Radio Shack and got a 100’ foot twisted pair line cord RJ11 on both ends 28 gauge (pn 279-460).
I put it between my transmitter and my base and it works like a dream. Updates right at 8sec. Very happy now.
Try it.
Its hard to get the pins right if you do the cable your self. :lol:

How frustrating! Well, at least I found the problem. At the end of my 75’ extension cable, I attached new phone jack blocks. You know, the phone jacks that get screwed to a wall. I placed one by my transmitter, and one at the base. Then, I just used standard 4 wire phone cord to plug the base and the transmitter to the phone blocks.

Well, after hours of testing, examining the wires, replacing the phone wire with Cat5, etc, I found out one of those blocks was bad!! I reconnect the phone cable and it works great!