1-Wire UV Sensor

Windy (Brian),

I can’t reply to the thread in Weather Products/Services - Supplier Announcements so I figured I would start a new thread here.

You asked:

will it be a mv output?

The answer is no. We are developing a custom 1-Wire slave so that output will be in tenths of a UV Index. You will just need to divide the number returned by 10 to get the correct reading with the decimal point in the correct place.

Eric

What will the spatial response/viewing angle be?

what I meant was, what sort of 1 wire chip is it and what type of value is returned to the software?

Niko,

The spatial response of the sensor is very close to a cosine model. I don’t have final information of the viewing angle yet as the final case has not been determined.

Windy,

We are not using a standard 1-Wire chip for the UVI meter as we couldn’t get the resolution we wanted so we have come up with a custom 1-Wire chip. I will provide more technical information and sample code to access the chip once everything is more finalized. It will be very easy and simple to access.

Eric

ok, sounds good

That’s good news :smiley:

Excellent news Eric, I look forward to adding one of these to the station :smiley:

Cheers
Colin.

Hi Eric

Yes, I’m also looking forward to the new UV sensor. Keep us updated. Thanks

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi Eric,

Any updates for this sensor? Hope that it will be compatible with WD/WDL and all the systems that we are all using.

Thank you for your engineering skills.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

We were having a couple of issues getting some of the parts but we will hopefully have the UVI Meter in stock by the end of July or early August. It may take a little bit of time to get software support since we are using a custom 1-Wire slave so there will be new code involved but it is really easy to get the information from.

It will report UV Index in tenths so all the software will have to do is divide by 10 to get the UVI into a XX.X format.

Eric

Hi Eric,
I’m also very interested in the UV sensor. High UV where I live.

PS
The new wind board with Inspeed sensors is working brilliantly!
w0mbat (Ian)

It’s all good news Eric!! A few keen buyers in NZ as well… :slight_smile:

Any new news?

13 August comment from Eric:

[size=83]It will be released in about a week or less. Just finishing up some details. I will make an announcement when it is on the site.[/size]

Very soon… :slight_smile: I am prepared to buy one and forward to Brian, unless Eric has already done so.

I have not sent one to Brian yet but I will when they are released. Just waiting on some sun to do a final bit of testing.

Eric

I don’t see that, but never mind, it’s all good news :smiley:

Available now at Hobby-Boards…

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1567&osCsid=71ee4fb1f5c66972910244ed9cf3c016

UV Index Meter
[UVI2-R1-A]

$40 for a complex device with quite some time in the planning and design and testing phases. BTW you need the case with this one! (+$10.75) And attention to sealing off the RJ45 double socket and CAT5 cable connection.

Well done Eric!

I agree, great job, looks good :smiley:

In addition to monitoring UV, the Hobby Boards UV Index Meter has an on-board temperature sensor

What is the purpose of the temp sensor

Mark

We use the temp sensor for temperature compensated UVI readings but the main reason is to legally create our own 1-Wire slave we have to include a real Dallas 1-Wire slave chip on the board, so they get their cut of the money :slight_smile: