My wx-pc crashed, ideas?

Hi all,

Need ideas of this could cause:

On my wx-pc’s screen started without reason popping up and closing those small boxes what appears when click on right mouse-button. They appeared in spped of 2/second. Only way to get pc closed was hardclose with powerbutton.
Get it up once without those boxes so i get scheduled a Avast DOS-scan to next boot. Result 0 viruses.
After that was runned and windows started those boxes started appear again so i closed the PC before wx-softas started with powerbutton and its now powered down.

:frowning:

My wx-box runs XP SP3.

Any ideas?

Henkka

Broken right mouse button?

Nope, it works fine on my KVM-switch on the second PC connected to it (wx-PC is the first one)…

Have you tried swapping the kvm outputs?

Yes, don’t helped…

Very strange. It’s the regular box you get when you click on an icon, Open, Edit, etc ? I don’t see any google result for a problem like that :dontknow: :frowning:

Did you add any software just before that began to happen, or set something to start when windows starts? If you can tell which program or programs those pop up windows are from, start the computer in safe mode and uninstall the program if possible, then reboot and reinstall it.

Hi Niko!

Yes, its the regular box what comes when you right-click on a empty place on screen without any icons or open documetns,as of what i saw (they was visible for just a part of a second).

Have now runned a repair of XP on it (works ok now, without any wxstuff running) and are currently copying a backup of all the wx-stuff to an external HD, last backup was from beginning of this month.
As i don’t like windows “repair-stuff” at all, having bad experiences with those craps :lol:, i will once backup is done do a total cleanout of the HD with Killdisk and reinstall it.

Henkka

No new progs added, it was my dedicated wx-pc, it had runned on its own for about a week since last reboot.
Those boxes was those regular windows screen-boxes.

Check that a key isn’t stuck on the keyboard.

Don’t know what it was, anyway i did as a quickfix a swap between my pc’s so wx-stuff get the another one and now is wx-station up and running again :slight_smile: and i can with time see if it happens again to the ex-wx-pc after a fresh install of Ubuntu on it :lol:

Story continues… :frowning:

Now on another PC (3000+ AMD, 2 Gt RAM) after 18 hours online it crashed again, this time with a screen like attached image with black bottom and dark blue pieces.
That PC is fresh installed XP + SP3 and only wx-progs installed…

Reboot from powerbutton helped but to me it tells, something its really wrong and i don’t get it stable before thats fixed…

This time it was really near i wiped out whole PC from the window, without opening it first, and my wx-hobby had stopped there, but i will give it one more chance, it has messed little too much last months… :?

:frowning: :frowning:

Henkka

HPIM0598.JPG

Very strange. You didn’t move anything, like memory, from the old PC to the new one?

Nope, just the wx-files nothing else.

I can’t come up with any logical explanation then :dontknow:

Not me either…

Only what i can figure out is to do a fresh install with the wx-progs, one at time and with some time between each install so only the most important datafiles likes WD’s logfiles are moved over and else all are fresh to see when it starts, if it starts to mess. Bad side with that is of course it takes lots of time and some progs will be down for some time. And even then not surely if it gives any results…idon’t know…

Thanks Niko anyway for your help :slight_smile:

Virus maybe that was transfered from one pc to the other.

No viruses, data was checked with 3 diffrerent scanners for that when i started of one of them was Avast boot-scan (in DOS-mode).

A friend on the finnish wx-forum get the idea of XP’s SP3 as bad boy. He has runned his station on a SP2-install for 4 years without any problems.

Anyway, I have took a backup of the wx-data and wiped the HD with Killdisk 2 times and started from total fresh. From old wx-data will only needed datafiles/archives be transferred. As OS will be Win2K SP4 + patches if i get it to work properly, ie. it found all hardware’s etc. else a XP SP2-box.

Maybe your video card has bad caps.
If it is a video card and not video integrated on the motherboard, try replacing the video card.

Its a integrated card and the station has crashed on two totally diiferent machines in few days…

Anyway, its now, once again, up and running, here what i did:

• runned a neat app called Killdisk what cleaned out everything
  • inastalled a pure XP SP2, without any updates to it and autoupdate deffinitely disabled
  • from wx-stuff i took only needed datafiles and archives and installed all apps totally fresh

because for me it started more and more hear like there was something wrong in my wx-partition because it has crashed on two totally different machines, no viruses found either (tested with 3 different scanners), so lets see now. Also runned the manfacturers HD-checker for the HD in use for the station, no problems found tought. (Yes, i runned the scanners before i cleaned out the HD ;))

I have a plan B ready tought, thats quite radical, close the wx-aps one by one when crash appears and see when they stops, thats just then mean some parts of the stuffs can be offline for a long while…

EDIT:
Forgot that positive post, it stayed up and running for 6 hours, crashed again :frowning: Thats it…
Same black screen with blue pieces as yesterday

I’m out of ideas now…