South Atlantic Storm

Anybody watching what it going on in the South Atlantic? First ever, or at least first in a very, very long time, huricane, that :wink: :wink: isn’t really a huricane.

Seems the forecasters down there (Peru?) don’t want to call it a huricane because it might scare people…as it bears down on them. “Gee, maybe if we don’t call it a huricane, no one will notice it.” Slam, bang, you’re dead!

What’s with these people?

i just had a email from a meterologist about that…

isnt it supposed to be that the south atlantic is too narrow…
or is it a sign changes in the ocean currents
or maybe South America has moved far enough away from south africa now (so may cm’s a year?)

That’s Brazil, sorry Peru. Maybe if they had properly warned there wouldn’t be one dead, seven missing, and several boats in trouble. :cry:

The US Hurricane Service in Florida says it WAS a hurricane.

Brazil says it was not a hurricane.
But then again, they don’t know what a hurricane is.

But if it looks like a hurricane, acts like a hurricane, destroys like a hurricane,
then it is probably a hurricane.

OR a mucho grande’ shower with 80 MPH winds.

Herb

But if it looks like a hurricane, acts like a hurricane, destroys like a hurricane, then it is probably a hurricane.

OR a mucho grande’ shower with 80 MPH winds.

I’m being lazy…I know I could look it up on the wibbly wobbly web…what is the definition of a hurricane? We occasionally get storms with 70-80mph winds and whilst we might call the wind speed ‘hurricane force’, we don’t call the storms hurricanes.

its needs to have a concentric circle of at least gale force winds for starters
and the whole thing is driven my warm tropical water, i.e 27oC or so,
i.e its bands of very intense thunderstorms spiraling around each other…and when it gets real organised, it will develop an eye, where there is not much wind and not much cloud erither, with shear walls of CB clouds surrounding the eye,
but its called a hurricane before an eye forms…once you get the concentric circle of gales,with the spiriling thunderstorms
but , yes, mid latitude depressions can have winds of hurrican force too :slight_smile:
( we get mid latitude depressions down to 945 hpa , at times,in the seas just south of NZ !)

The hurricane that wasn’t.

Here is a picture of it.
http://www.maritimesweather.com/

Now that folks, is a hurricane.
Stated by someone who lives in a hurricane zone.