Vantage Vue

On the site of a french Davis equipment distributor is announced for the second half of 2009 a new Davis weatherstation called “Vantage Vue”.

From the description it will be a simplified Vantage Pro, wireless only.
It will communicate by serial, USB or IP connection :D.
Unfortunately the site does not provided images :(.
It does not replace the Vantage Pro, but is supposed to complete the offer by Davis.

I’ve Googled, in vain, to find more information. Anyone out there that knows more?

That’s essentially correct, but more specific information is unfortunately subject to CDA at present. AIUI extensive pre-production development/testing is still continuing and a launch date is not currently imminent. I suspect that Davis are trying to avoid a re-run of the situation with the original VP where launch dates were announced prematurely and in the event the product was significantly late. So don’t expect to hear any more until the new product is pretty much ready to go, which could potentially be some time yet.

Hey Guys! Got a first look at a picture of the new Davis Vantage VUE sensor assembly. Take a look here:

http://www.weatherbuffs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D-VUE

Finally - a Davis quality station geared towards the “consumer grade” market that isn’t a limited cabled unit! Can’t wait to get one in my hands - which will be the very first day they are released (only 15 min from Davis HQ). VERY VERY SOON!!!

8O :?

Umm we are going to place the temp sensor at 20 to 30 feet which is the recommended height for wind but the height for temp is recommended 5 feet??? Not to mention rain?

-Bob

Umm, did you look at the price?
Weather Buff are selling the VP2 for $535.50 and the Vue is priced at $599.95. :?
What sort of wind disturbance are you going to get get off the box to the south of the anemometer, as there’s not much elevation to clear it?

‘Price shown here is INACCURATE. This is the current MSRP for Davis 6152s and by all rumors we’ve heard and read, it will be considerably less than the 6152.’ (From the WB preview)

There’s no detailed specification or pricing info available as yet. Certainly it should be less than a VP2W but by how much is unknown/undecided for now. Personally I’d guestimate Q4 for UK availability but ICBW.

John Dann
www.weatherstations.co.uk

I was amused by the “could feasibly be positioned high on a pole without the need for guy-wire support (to a reasonable height, maybe 15-20ft).”.

I guess they weren’t thinking about our sort of weather, Martin. :wink:

Maybe the thought behind this is “portable” or “temporary” ?
I think it would be ideal for camping, outdoor events or apartments with limited space.

I’m thinking budget wind farmer, schools, ballistics/rifle calibrators, boating (fresh water), RV’ing, EMRT/HAZMAT, upgrade from a Weather Wizard III / Monitor II, or an absolute no questions asked alternative to a OSI/LaCrosse/Honeywell/Watson station. Even if there was some wind shear from the unit it would still be much more accurate than a traditional “consumer grade” aka Made in China station in the same price range. Looks like a very prime candidate for a affordable rapidly deployable setup if Davis decides to make a molded case for it it would be able to compete against a Columbia Pegasus. Or it could be an awesome remote logging station up against RainWise PortLog and even the new station from them, the WindLog - but again Davis would have to create a datalogger capable of going atleast a year at favorable/usable interval rates (or have a datalogger with replaceable/upgradable flash card slot). Can’t wait to see the base unit and find out more specs!

I sent an email off to their sales dept and waiting to see what happens. I wrote on another matter two weeks ago and they said to watch for August and their fall catalogue. I was inquiring about additional sensors and things. Just curious if Davis is going to keep the VP2 for the big kids and the kiddies the other one.

It looks a little flimsy and that thing sticking up on the top like a pencil or finger… I assume that does something or that something is attached My other concern is how does it fair in straight line winds hitting something on the very end of the pole.

Wow, you’re in the UK but only “15 min from Davis HQ”, you have a transporter?

I have a friend who got me the pdf’s on the manual for the unit. I am sticking with the vp2…

Where’d you get a pdf of the manual! I’m jealous, wish I had a buddy with a hookup like that! All I have is a picture I found scanned from a box and the french website rumor-mill post. Still haven’t seen a line-drawing or any picture of a base unit - no clue what the “finger” is sticking up - maybe the antenna - maybe aardvark can tell us from the manual?? Or possibly a spot for a sensor shelf to hold UV and Solar Rad? I would imagine that more info will get up soon on this - Davis is already publishing images and now we hear there is a pdf manual floating around - so cant be too much longer! I dont think its a replacement to the VP2’s - but I dont think anyone really expected a replacement to the Vantage Pro series - it is after all the standard in weather stations… I imagine the Vue would be geared towards those who dont want to spend the money on a 6152 - but who really knows until pricing, info, specs, etc get officially released. Atleast it has more features that the Weather Wizard which isn’t even really a weather station per se - should have been called the Wind Wizard instead. Its anyone’s best guestimate - purely speculation - but thats what these forums are for!

Why spend around $599.00 for the NEW one, when you can get the 6152 cabled for $332.00…Not unless it does alot more than just give you weather readings…lol

I highly doubt it retails for 599 - the same retail price as a 6152… Probably just lack of a better/real list price since it hasn’t been released…

I hope Davis doesnt price it wrong - should be somewhere between a Weather Wizard III and a VP2W - for that range I’d take it over any of the comparable made in china junkers (if you can even consider a made in china station “comparable”)…

This is the only price online so far…

http://www.weatherbuffs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D-VUE

And If that stays the same, the 6152 is still the way to go.

I think you can believe John’s comments on the pricing issue, he is a Davis distributor.

Cool…Thats reassuring.

Vantage VUE has officially been released - $395 MSRP - ships on Sept 1st. You can pre-order though it looks like. Shares many of the same features - cant wait to put it up against my other stations!

http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_Vantage_VUE_Pro_Wireless_Weather_Station_p/d-vue.htm

Link doesnt work… I found this one… $355.00 Sale Price

http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_Vantage_VUE_Pro_Wireless_Weather_Station_p/d-6250.htm